PDA

View Full Version : Shop Warming Gift From The LOML.....

John Dingman
05-21-2005, 9:05 AM
I am currently moving my shop from a detached shop (building is going to be torn down) to a basement shop in our new home. And this is what the LOML got me for my "Shop Warming Gift" :D She's a keeper! ;)

http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom/pics/jpeg500/G/g0586_det1.jpg

I have a question for anyone that has one of these or would know if I have to mount the switch the way it is shown in the picture. Currently I have my jointer right next to my table saw like this:

http://www.johnswoodshop.us/Images/shop%20pics%20010.jpg

I'd like to put the Griz in the same location next to the table saw once I move to the new shop, but if I have to mount the switch as shown in the first picture, it would be in the way there. Not a big deal, was just wondering.

Thanks,
John

Ken Fitzgerald
05-21-2005, 9:08 AM
John.....Looks like a double gloat to me! The jointer and the LOYL! Congrats on both accounts!

Bart Leetch
05-21-2005, 9:58 AM
John

I think you'll find the cord goes from the switch down & under the in-feed table to another box that is part of the switching system you could probably shorten the cord between the 2 & mount the switch down there or change it all out for another mag switch.

mike malone
05-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Nice John!!!...both are "keepers"
mike

Ted Shrader
05-21-2005, 10:34 AM
John -

Congratulations on both the jointer and your wife!

Ted

John Hart
05-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Geez John...She sure knows woodworking doesn't she? Congratulations!!

John Miliunas
05-21-2005, 10:40 AM
Congrats, John! You're a fortunate fellow! The last time LOM got me anything in the way of tools was some...some....OK, I'll call it "stuff" from HF!:eek:

Anyhow, on the jointer thing. Not positive on this, but I have a hunch you may find that either, the fence and/or the hold-down for the fence may protrude above the height of your TS. Not sure if they have that spec at Grizz, but maybe someone out here has that jointer and can jump in to give you the actual height measurement. If that is indeed the case, you're probably better off just leaving the switch as is designed. Regardless, enjoy the great gift!:) :cool:

Frank Pellow
05-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Nice gift! :)

I never thought of holding a shop-watming party and accepting gifts. I wonder if it's too late. :confused:

Jon Toebbe
05-21-2005, 11:51 AM
Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like you could also put a jointer on the RHS of the table saw -- there the upraised switch wouldn't be a problem.

Bruce Page
05-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Nice!
The last shop gift that my wife gave me was a broom.:rolleyes:
Enjoy

John Dingman
05-21-2005, 1:53 PM
Hey All,

You are right when you say I am the fortunate one! She's good lookin to boot.

We are the couple on the right in the picture:

http://www.lbcracine.org/pictures/fullsize/Dingmans%20and%20Noonans.jpg

As I was remodeling the basement shop in our new home, she wanted to use the circular saw and the jig saw to make some of the cuts I needed to make. You know "I'm just trying to help you out." I am blessed and I know it. ;) I try not to take her for granted.

Thanks again for all the kind comments.

John

Richard Wolf
05-21-2005, 4:22 PM
Please tell me she can't cook.

Richard

Ken Fitzgerald
05-21-2005, 5:16 PM
Or do laundy, windows, sew and tend to you when you're ill.......

Dev Emch
05-21-2005, 5:53 PM
The last gift I got was some kind of a fruit. A "Honeydew List"? I guess its somekind of a melon but I have not gotten it yet. Did get a list of items that need to be made or repaired. You know the type... top edge is glued to bottom edge so it goes round and round and round.

John, that is nice little hang out your putting together.

I see your in Racine, WI. Quick question? Did they ever patch up the wall on the 2nd floor of the Wisconsin Patternworks building? I was at that auction about august of 2004 as I recall. Boy did they have a gathering of tools and deals. A 36 inch wadkin band saw from the '80s or so went for $600 dollars and it was mint! I got two sanders out of there and remember loading these onto my trailer with no forklift. I was drinking the cooler water to say cool as I am not used to the heat and hummidity.

JayStPeter
05-21-2005, 7:02 PM
I think John is correct. My Grizzly 8" protruded above the table of my saw when I tried that orientation. I raised my saw using 2x4s between the base and the saw (something I had been wanting to do anyway since I'm 6'4"). But I didn't like the positioning anyway. The longer tables and extra width make it much more cumbersome than a 6" in that position.

Jay

Jerry Clark
05-21-2005, 7:04 PM
She is a keeper--:) Oh, the wife is also!:rolleyes:

jerry cousins
05-21-2005, 8:26 PM
i bought a delta 8" jointer that had the switch sticking up high - which seemed to really be in the way. wasn't too much of a task to remove the arm and mount the switch housing on the cabinet just below the infeed table.

jerry

John Dingman
05-21-2005, 9:32 PM
Please tell me she can't cook.

Richard Richard,

If I did I would be lying.....She's a fantastic cook.

John

John Dingman
05-21-2005, 9:33 PM
Or do laundy, windows, sew and tend to you when you're ill....... Ken,

She does all those things very well too. Like I said, I know I have it good. ;)

John

Richard Wolf
05-21-2005, 9:34 PM
Richard,

If I did I would be lying.....She's a fantastic cook.

John

Well, you must be a happy man, God bless.

Richard

Ken Fitzgerald
05-21-2005, 11:03 PM
John.....it's good to know somebody is a well off as I am. This year we'll celebrate our 37th anniversary. She could have retired last year but elected to have a shop built for me and she offered to work until I retire to pay for it! Congrats to you and the LOYL!