PDA

View Full Version : Hobby to selling

Devin Gorder
06-21-2013, 1:13 PM
I am just curious how many people had started turning as a hobby and the road led them to selling pieces at craft shows or even going into business in the wood world.

While I dont want to start turning as a way to make income, I can see how people would want to purchase beautiful pieces for their homes and offices.

I have seen a few at shows here and it is amazing the amount of pieces they have and that they seem to sell very well.

Doug Herzberg
06-21-2013, 2:22 PM
People have asked if they can pay me, but so far I've said no. I'm not that good and I had a job. Don't want another.

If you're thinking about it, though, check with your insurance company. One sale might convert your hobby shop to a business and get it excluded from coverage. There have been threads on the subject here on Sawmill Creek. A member of our local turning club lost everything in a fire about a year ago and they wouldn't pay for anything.

Dale Gillaspy
06-21-2013, 3:00 PM
I'm in the hobby to selling category. I purchased an insurance rider for just that purpose. I don't get rich, and I can't quit my day job, but I make enough to pay for my tools, the occasional piece of nice wood I actually pay for, a few symposiums now and then, and a little pocket money. I've also been able to do some demos at various clubs throughout the state.

Jeremy Hamaker
06-21-2013, 3:49 PM
Good cautions stated here. An additional one is that some power tool companies warranty terms change based on your tool use for personal vs. business. My Powermatic lathe with a 90 month warranty (90th anniv. edition) reverts to a 1 year warranty if it's used commercially... Don't know exactly what the dividing line is for them, but another thing to consider.
I have thought about trying to do some side work to sell, but won't pull the trigger unless I'm serious enough about it to justify the insurance and the different warranty terms on my expensive equipment.
Oh, plus the business license, the city tax, the state B&O Tax, the Federal Tax, the liability insurance in case for some reason a purchaser wants to blame my pieces for whatever bad happened to them in their life....
The accounting, the holding of receipts, etc... etc...
:)

Lee Koepke
06-21-2013, 3:57 PM
i started strictly as a hobby, but took to selling things. My wife even opened up a store so now I have a venue available 6 days / week :D

I am a much harsher critic of my work, but people seem to be interested enough to buy it. I use the money for more tools and a little security blanket! I have gotten the rider for my insurance and included an umbrella policy since I do a few shows on occasion. Around Christmas gift season is the only time it gets hectic for me, I wear myself out between Thanksgiving and Dec 22nd.

Jack Gaskins
06-21-2013, 7:57 PM
How do you decide what to start making to sell?

Bernie Weishapl
06-21-2013, 10:32 PM
i am one that started as a hobby and went to selling. My 2 lathes and all my tools are paid for by my turnings. Like Lee from 11/1 to 12/30 I am just beat but now it is almost year round with the Buffalo Bill Center. I do have insurance and a business license.

Devin Gorder
06-22-2013, 1:31 AM
Was just curious

I haven't turned a thing in 15y and no where near thinking of selling anything

I've found that some hobbies I have that could be used to make money wouldn't be the same for me if they did.

I would like to share what I make though but will take that road when I get there.

Scott Woodson
06-23-2013, 2:05 PM
Devin,

I have a full time job and do some of these things as a hobby/business. A great resource we have available is the small business administration that has a program that will lay out things you need to consider when starting a business. They were a great help to me. Not sure if Canada has something simliar, if so I would talk to them first so they can help you avoid pitfalls (read money) when trying to go into business.

Good luck

Scott

Lee Koepke
06-25-2013, 2:18 PM
How do you decide what to start making to sell? my bread and butter (so to speak) is cutting boards - they finance my votex!
I sell ALOT of pens, some razors, and a few of my bowls. I have my wifes store, so if it sits there too long, I bring it home.

Brian Kent
06-25-2013, 4:21 PM
Another consideration is whether you like repetition. A "crafty" friend reminded me that in the craft business you often need to plan for making 60 of the same object.

Jim Burr
06-25-2013, 6:16 PM
From time to time, I do very well with pens and utility items. Understand that this site is devoted to art and art doesn't sell on a regular basis to the majority. I have great sources in medicine and flat workers that I sell to on a regular basis. They also understand when it's break time and let it go. Make sure your product is ready to go to market, if it isn't...keep working.

Jack Gaskins
06-25-2013, 6:18 PM
Another consideration is whether you like repetition. A "crafty" friend reminded me that in the craft business you often need to plan for making 60 of the same object.

Well I dang sure aren't going to make 60 bowls. Sanding sucks just trying to make one bowl!