PDA

View Full Version : Simplicity

Alan Trout
06-20-2013, 11:33 PM
This is my latest (finished today) and largest of my Acorn Cap series. It is right at 15"x6 1/2" and about 3/16" thick It took right at 219oz of resin in the cast and about 50+ hours of prep time for the blank. The rim is live oak burl. The inspiration for the piece came from a glass vase that I had seen in a gallery. I liked the simple arc of the form and thought it might translate nicely into one of my acorn cap pieces. This one will be at the symposium next week.

I just call it "Simplicity"

Comments always welcome

Roger Chandler
06-21-2013, 8:09 AM
Just beautiful Alan! Nice touch with the burl collar........it sort of ties the color of the acorn caps to the top. Beautifully polished finish also! I suppose there in San Antonio there are plenty of live oaks..........I have been to SA twice and one time played golf........there were plenty of oaks and prairie dogs!

Devin Gorder
06-21-2013, 10:14 AM
I call it amazing unreal awesomeness

Doug Herzberg
06-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Nothing simple about that, other than the line. For many of us, getting the profile just right is pretty complicated. Beautiful.

Alan Trout
06-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Roger,

It is funny how the color of the acorn cap and the wood is always very similar. I have always blended live oak burl with my acorn cap pieces just for the reasons you noticed.

Yes we have a ton of live oak trees. We have a few what I call ground squirrels not really prairie dogs but a smaller cousin. Not as many these days as we use to have.

Thanks for the compliments.

Just beautiful Alan! Nice touch with the burl collar........it sort of ties the color of the acorn caps to the top. Beautifully polished finish also! I suppose there in San Antonio there are plenty of live oaks..........I have been to SA twice and one time played golf........there were plenty of oaks and prairie dogs!

Michelle Rich
06-21-2013, 10:41 AM
I luv this series..and adore the blue color..

Mike Cruz
06-21-2013, 11:35 AM
It's going, it's going, it's.....GONE. Home run, Allen. LOVE the color. LOVE the pattern. Can't pick out a bad thing about it. Except that there is only one pic, maybe...

Steve Mawson
06-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Only wish I could be in Tampa to see it for real.