PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Goblet

Richard Madden
06-20-2013, 8:03 PM
This will be a gift to my niece and her soon to be groom. Walnut, 6-1/2" tall and 2-5/8" diameter. I was hoping to get it laser engraved, but not enough time. Comments and/or criticism always welcome. 264845

Thom Sturgill
06-20-2013, 8:46 PM
Nice goblet, looks a lot like my formal ones, though I tend to close the curve o f the bell a bit ans make larger rings. I like the way yours look.

I have made several for weddings and anniversaries and use my wood burner to decorate them with the couples name and wedding date. They always seem to be appreciated and I'm sure your niece will love this one. I try to encourage them to drink a toast from it at the reception, just not smash them in old world tradition. :eek:

Brian Kent
06-20-2013, 8:49 PM
Very beautiful, and I am surprised how light the walnut color is.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-20-2013, 9:16 PM
Nice form. I like the proportions. Well done Sir!

Greg Just
06-20-2013, 10:59 PM
Very nice goblet. Did you treat or seal the inside in anyway?

Doug Wolf
06-21-2013, 9:55 AM
It appears the rings interlock. If so, how did you turn them?

Roger Chandler
06-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Nice work, Richard.........

Richard Madden
06-21-2013, 3:42 PM
Very nice goblet. Did you treat or seal the inside in anyway?

Greg, the entire piece has 2 or 3 coats of Zinnser Seal-Coat, and a couple coats of walnut oil. This was done a month ago, so should be cured enough for the couple to drink from.

Richard Madden
06-21-2013, 3:57 PM
It appears the rings interlock. If so, how did you turn them?

Doug, one ring was broken and glued back interlocking with the other ring and stem. I made one before this and the rings were bigger to where I was able to break a ring in one place and twist the ring open enough to interlock. The wife and I both thought smaller rings might look better, but in doing so I couldn't break a ring in just one spot, the ring broke in half. Hopefully it will stay together. As far as how the rings are turned, the easiest way to describe the process would be to suggest you check out you-tube, or google captive ring goblets. It's not that hard to do, and you can easily make your own captive ring tool.

Doug Wolf
06-21-2013, 8:18 PM
Thanks Richard. I've turned plenty of captive rings, just not able to turn ones that interlock. I thought maybe you glued a broken one but then I thought maybe you figured a way to actually turn them together somehow. Nice looking goblet!

Bruce Volden
06-21-2013, 8:42 PM
Richard,

I'm a laser engraver and cannot think of one good reason to "destroy" this goblet! I'm certain most people never forget the day of their wedding or their names---whats left?? I have to close with a story of a man who wanted his English riflestock engraved by me--this was a BEAUTIFUL English walnut burl stock. He insisted on "putting sumpin on there", so I did and he was completely overjoyed. Made no sense to me.

Bruce