PDA

View Full Version : Folding Party Stands

Mike Henderson
06-20-2013, 7:31 PM
About a year ago, I did the marquetry for these party stands (something to sit your drink and food on). But other projects always got in the way of finishing them. Over the past week to ten days, I was able to put some time into them and finally got them finished.

Each one is a different wood. One is maple, another oak, cherry, and finally, walnut. I designed the legs so that they're be reasonably stable when in use, but would fold flat for storage. One day, I'll make a piece of furniture that will store these.

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
06-20-2013, 8:00 PM
Very nice Mike! Casual elegance!

Paul Murphy
06-20-2013, 9:26 PM
I wish I had the skills to make those tables, they are each very nice and perfect as a set .

Mel Fulks
06-20-2013, 11:07 PM
At last something worthy of those wonderful TV frozen dinners! Sorry,couldn't resist. Nice work. Instead of being stored away they could have registering tabs and latches to make them serve as a table ,kind of like your photo.

Lori Kleinberg
06-20-2013, 11:55 PM
Mike, those are great looking snack tables. Even the bottom looks good!

Jeff Monson
06-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Looks great Mike, you are very good with the marquetry process!! How many hours does it take to do the marquetry on 1 of those tops?

Mike Henderson
06-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Looks great Mike, you are very good with the marquetry process!! How many hours does it take to do the marquetry on 1 of those tops?
It's been a while since I did the marquetry, Jeff, so I don't really remember how long it took, but I can tell you the process.

1. One of the hardest things is creating the design. It takes quite a while to come up with an idea and then get it drawn so it looks decent. That's why I often reuse a design that I have on hand. It just takes a long time to come up with a new design and I find it difficult work.

2. Selecting the veneers - species and color. This goes pretty fast.

3. Preparation of the veneer. I completely cover each piece with veneer tape. I have wide tape to do this. This takes a fair amount of time.

4. Creating a packet of veneer to cut. This is fairly quick.

5. Cutting the design on a scroll saw. This can be a long time if there's a lot of pieces. It's also tiring because of the precision required.

6. Sand shading the pieces. This can also be a long process if there's a lot of pieces.

7. Putting the pieces together to make a panel. This usually goes quickly. And it's the first time I get to see what the panel is going to look like.

8. Adding the banding and border. Not too long.

9. Gluing it all down. Pretty quick but always scary because I worry if it'll come out of the press okay (no bumps or loose spots).

The more complex the design (more pieces) the longer it takes.

Mike

Mel Fulks
06-21-2013, 12:32 PM
I think you are really on to something with your dogwood flowers. A real flower seems to be flat.The flat marquetry is full of undulation and curves,but looks as real as the flowers. It's art that makes you see the familiar in a different way. I reccomend your website to all.

Gus Dundon
06-21-2013, 4:44 PM
Amazing work.That’s one of the beautiful things I’ve ever seen!

Gordon Eyre
06-21-2013, 4:56 PM
You definitely have some skills Mike. Very nice.

Jim Matthews
06-23-2013, 7:43 PM
I don't think I could draft so well, nor execute so cunning a design in paint, let alone wood.

Some of your stuff looks as if it should be framed, rather than covered by nacho dip
and coasters.