PDA

View Full Version : Finally got some decent files on ebay...

David Weaver
06-20-2013, 1:21 PM
..a while ago, I posted some quibble about files, and so far have only universally liked the swiss grobets ($$$) and the bahco files (half $$$).

I also mentioned that I've never had any luck getting taper saw files on ebay, they are usually more there than they are at retail for decent files.

I have a couple of 3 tpi rip saws, and they can burn through smaller files pretty quickly, and just out of an outside chance bid on some monster nicholsons on ebay:

I did get a box of these monsters from bahco, too, but they were about $65 for 12 of them plus shipping, big triangular files aren't cheap. These are USA made nicholsons for $2.50 each plus shipping, that's a *steal*. What i've seen of the portugal bahcos so far is they are similar in quality to USA made nicholsons.

Missed out on 6 half round simonds nos files for about $3.35 each, too. It's nice to have one or two of those around to waste because they work on wood and metal, and for $3 and change, you don't punish yourself if you blow one out making a metal plane. If they're $12 each, then that kind of stings.

That still doesn't make ebay a good place to order saw files, but I figured I'd post about my gains because my wife for sure won't be as excited about them. She'll know what they are, too, because a dozen of these in a box are actually pretty heavy. Now I have two dozen of these to stow away for eternity since I only have two saws (that only get used on 8/4 stock) that require them, but bonus #2 on them is they are large enough to draw file pins and tails off of infill planes, so they'll eventually get used one way or another.

Steve Bates
06-20-2013, 6:11 PM
I'm curious, Dave, about your 3TPI rip saws. What do you use them on? That's a coarse tooth spacing, shy of 11/32.

Thanks for waiting a quarter hour on that plow, BTW :)

David Weaver
06-20-2013, 7:12 PM
6/4 to 8/4 stuff, like cutting stock for mouldings or just anything large. They also work well for resawing, etc, but I don't do that by hand unless the board is short, like for a pair of moulding planes.

They really aren't necessary, but it is satisfying because they take such large bits of stuff out as they cut. 8/4 stuff cuts just fine with a more common 5 or 5 1/2 point saw, though.