PDA

View Full Version : Quick planter construction question

Tom Sweeney
05-11-2003, 12:30 PM
I bought a bunch of herbs at a sale the other day & I need to make a quick planter to put them in. Nothing fancy just something that looks OK & will stand up to soil & watering.

I have some cedar laying around & was wondering if that would be a good choice. I know it's decent for weather resistance & such so I figure it would be OK.

Any problems with oils or anything leaching into the soil? We will be using the herbs for cooking. Do I need to coat the interior of the planter with anything - again the herbs will be used in food prep.

I want to try & make this today so any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Jim DeLaney
05-11-2003, 12:48 PM
Cedar is fine. Redwood is better. Cypress is even better yet.

I've made planters out of all the above.

In my area, redwood or cedar are cheapest, so that's what I use most. I have at least a dozen cedar planters that are eight or ten years old. The nails/screws (unless stainless steel) will fail before the wood does.

Tom Sweeney
05-11-2003, 12:57 PM
I thought that it would be Ok but thought I'd ask the experts first - - the cedar I have is from the cull bin at the Borg - paid about 90¢ per 1X4Xabout 4' board :D

Jim Becker
05-11-2003, 1:36 PM
The cedar you have is just fine, Tom. We used cedar from the "Borg" to "contain" our raised beds almost three years ago and they look almost new, except for the color change. Durable stuff...and less expensive than the cypress I prefer to use for outdoor furniture, etc.

Bill Grumbine
05-11-2003, 8:48 PM
Hi Tom

It ain't exactly woodworking, but I was going to plant an herb garden in a half barrel from Home Depot. I bought SWMBO one of those "herb garden" packages of seeds, and one of the suggested layout plans was in a half whiskey barrel. With all the other gardening and landscaping going on here, I thought it was a great idea. She took it one step further for efficiency and told me to wait until next year for the herb garden, since she will have her hands full with this year's regular garden.:( Even without the herbs, we should still have some good eatin'.:cool:

Good luck with your planter. I wish I could be more help.

Bill

Tom Sweeney
05-12-2003, 9:58 AM
I went with the cedar I had. It was actually more like 5/4 X 6" so it worked out nice.

I was really shooting for getting this thing finished in one day since I seem to have a serious case of cantfinishitis lately.
alas between planting the 10 azalea plants I bought LOML for Mom's day & planting tomatoes & cutting the grass & waiting for the glue to dry I didn't quite get it finished. I just have to cut the angled short sides - it's a rectangle with sloping sides - & secure those with the fine WW'ing joints I'm using (titebond II & deck screws :rolleyes: . I did get to use my jointer, planer, TS & clamps so I'm considering it WW'ing :D .

Thanks again - Bill I like the whiskey barrell idea but these herbs were bought at a fancy herb sale so I paid about $30 for them & decided not to spend any more on the planter.