PDA

View Full Version : Panel saw for plexi

Alex Jacobson
06-19-2013, 11:11 PM
I'm in the market for a reasonably priced panel saw for my picture frame business. I cut a ton of plexi, and it really isn't ideal to cut on my table saw. I need one that is extremely accurate (no more than 1/32 off over 4'), will take fine tooth plastic blades, but also work for 3/4" plywood. Also, hopefully not breaking the bank.

Got any suggestions for where to look?

Thanks.

Rick Christopherson
06-20-2013, 3:53 AM
I normally refrain from making tool recommendations, but in my experience with cutting plastics, I would suggest that you look into getting a track saw instead of a panel saw. The primary differences are the cost and variable speed. However, if you can find a panel saw that has variable speed, then that may suit you better. The key is slowing the blade down enough to make its optimal cutting but still eliminate melting. The blade needs to make small shaving-cuts, but normally this results in melting at normal blade RPM.

As for a track saw, any of the major brands will suit your needs just fine; Makita, DeWalt, or Festool. Below is a real picture I took using a track saw on a clear plastic sheet. It has been so long since I took this picture that I can't remember what type of plastic this is, but I would guess Lexan or something like that. As someone that works with plastic, what I believe you will find amazing is how transparent the cut is from the raw saw blade cut. By running low speed and low depth, the cut is very clean without burning or chipping.

Alex Jacobson
06-20-2013, 6:39 AM
Thanks Rick.

My worries with a track saw is that it takes up a lot of floor space, and you have to measure each cut by hand. I'm not really concerned with the quality of the cut, as long as it is chip free because it goes under the rabbet of the frame and is never seen from the side.

Chris Fournier
06-20-2013, 8:23 AM
In the past two years I have had used a lot of 0.25" acrylic in my shop to make museum display cases - over 100 sheets worth. I have a sliding table saw and it worked perfectly but it is expensive. A sharp blade and a good cross cut sled on a well set up TS would work very well for your application I would think. Track saws have thin blades and less choice of blade configuration, I think that the cut quality would be poorer because of this.

Erik Loza
06-20-2013, 9:43 AM
I have several customers who do acrylic manufacturing and use sliding panel saws. Large fish aquariums, etc. Again, not sure what the TS' budget may/may not be but that is what my owners use and they seem satisfied with them.

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Alex Jacobson
06-20-2013, 9:48 PM
Thanks for the input.

I think sliding panel table saw might be a little out of the price range right now. Also, 1/8" plexi is a little more difficult to work with than 1/4" plus because it warps so much when you get it on a saw. That's one reason I'm thinking vertical panel saw may be the way to go.

Does anyone use a Safety Speed H5 panel saw? I see one near me on CL : http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/tls/3866963601.html would 1300 be a decent price for a used one?

John Hays
06-20-2013, 10:03 PM
Are you comfortable with building your own? If so, I've run across a few magazines that have instructions.

Joe Kieve
06-20-2013, 11:49 PM
I'm not in the picture frame business but have made my share of them. Unless they are extremely large, just curious why you use plexiglass instead of glass.

Jay Park
06-21-2013, 3:04 AM
even though I like the track saw idea better, heres a like to a shop built panel saw using 80/20 aluminum rods.

woodworkingtalk.com/f2/new-panel-saw-idea-33856/

Alex Jacobson
06-21-2013, 6:32 AM
I'm not in the picture frame business but have made my share of them. Unless they are extremely large, just curious why you use plexiglass instead of glass.

My clients are typically artists, galleries, and a couple museums. None of them want the potential risk or liability of glass breaking in shipping. Anything larger than 20x24 I recommend acrylic. Standard 1/8" UV acrylic is good stuff, but there is some anti-reflective, static free, scratch resistant stuff that is amazing, albeit pricey.

Alex Jacobson
06-21-2013, 6:36 AM
even though I like the track saw idea better, heres a like to a shop built panel saw using 80/20 aluminum rods.

No, I'm not opposed to it. I was looking at another one by widget works ebay.com/itm/Deluxe-Panel-Saw-Kit-Wall-Mount-1-32-Accuracy-/330576203286?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf7e08e16. Anyone have this?