PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing question : Single knob on bath tub.

Clarence Martin
06-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Got one of those single handle faucets on the bathtub . It's a Delta and the thing leaks just behind the clear plastic turn knob. Knob is supposed to look like old fashioned cut glass like they used to have on door knobs from years ago. I tried tightening the screw on the center of the knob. No go. Tight as can be. When I push on the knob, that is when water squirts out the back of it. When the water is turned all the way either to hot or cold, it drip drips, Doesn't do it when it is in the center and not turned on full blast.

Is this fixable or should I look into getting new faucet handle set for the tub.

glenn bradley
06-19-2013, 11:48 PM
DAMHIKT . . . Delta sells rebuild kits that include a new "cartridge" that makes up the valve's guts. If the cylinder is damaged due to a long-term leak that may have eroded a groove in the cylinder wall there are grinders available similar to cylinder grinders for your car to repair this if there is enough cylinder wall left to grind. Since a replacement valve can be a few hundred dollars, a rebuild, if possible, would be the way to go. I have a couple of MIXET shower valves that are similar and the rebuild kits were about $50, worked great and are still working like new despite being 20-odd years old.

Joe Kieve
06-20-2013, 11:15 AM
IIRC Delta non electronic faucets have a lifetime warranty. Check with them as they may replace parts or the entire fixture.

Jerome Stanek
06-20-2013, 4:14 PM
Yes they have a lifetime warranty

glenn bradley
06-20-2013, 4:40 PM
Unless manufactured before 1995 ;). From the Delta Website:

Rollie Meyers
06-21-2013, 12:59 AM
If the valve is a older Delta, the kits are easy to install & not very expensive, just be sure to use OEM (genuine) Delta parts as "will fit" parts are just a headache, the kit has two springs & new seats & may also include a tool for adjusting seal around the ball.

Rick Potter
06-21-2013, 2:05 PM
Had to take apart two shower valves that were stuck. Look on the internet to find several how-to articles on getting the stuck ones apart.

Rick Potter

Clarence Martin
06-22-2013, 1:20 PM
Got it fixed. Now, I recaulked the tub against the tub wall and the tub faucet spout. It went on fine around the wall, but having a hard time with the caulk between the spout and the tub wall. There is 1 /4 inch gap between the spout and wall. Tried to get it to sit flush against the wall , but that is as far as it will go. The caulk is settling in between the gap. Can I add more caulk to the settled in part in 24 hours after it has hardned at bit ? The more I put on while it is soft, the more it sinks.

Thanks,

Joe Kieve
06-22-2013, 6:59 PM
Clarence....check out YouTube. There are several videos that show how to replace a tub spout. Yours may just need tightening to snug it tight against the tub wall. There shouldn't be a 1/4" gap and I don't believe you need to caulk around it.
just my 2 cents.