PDA

View Full Version : Material For Heat Press Templates?

Tim Bateson
06-19-2013, 8:14 PM
What material can I use that will withstand 400 degree heat over & over. Trying to build some custom templates for sublimation.

AL Ursich
06-19-2013, 9:13 PM
That is a good question.... On page 17 of the 2013 Johnson Plastic Sublilmation Catalog they sell about 20 different fixtures and mention to get the Template at Unisub dot com. They look like metal?

On 28 May in the General thread, the same question was asked on EE and Oil Board, Fiber Board and Johnson Plastics fixtures were mentioned.

I print .2 bigger and use my fun tape machine. Some have use low tack spray too....

Good Luck,

AL

Mike Null
06-20-2013, 5:57 AM
Tim

I use mdf and it seems to be ok. I am not a volume user so take it for what it's worth.

Like Al, I tape most of my work.

Scott Shepherd
06-20-2013, 1:06 PM
I spray it all with dye trans or whatever that stuff is called. Haven't taped a job or used a fixture for a long time now. I'll tape my CLTT, but never dye sub.

Gary Gardner
06-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Tim

I make all of my fixtures on the laser using 3mm baltic birch. I use some of them over and over with no problem. Actually the only problem is after 60 seconds in the press at 400 degrees it gets hot so i wave it in the air for a couple of seconds and i'm good to go.

Hope this helps
Gary

Tim Bateson
06-21-2013, 4:19 PM
I just received one made by Johnson Plastics. It's aluminum with a thin pad and 1/4 fiber board. Unfortunately their dog tag template doesn't fit Sublimation JDS dog tags. Also the Fiber board will not fit my press anyway. So, I had done just what Gary suggested (Great minds think alike). Seems to work well. We'll see how long it lasts.

Thanks