PDA

View Full Version : How do you stub out PEX?

Brian Elfert
06-19-2013, 7:56 PM
My father wants to use PEX instead of copper to re-plumb a laundry room. What is the proper way to stub out PEX? You can put a 90 degree bend in the PEX, but I see lots of opinions that PEX used as a stub is not sturdy enough.

I've seen special 90 degree copper bends with the crimped connection in the wall. Isn't it against code to put a crimped type connection in a wall? This would seem to be the way to go if it is legal.

Brad Adams
06-19-2013, 10:56 PM
In my plumbing business I use the copper stub out elbows. It is not against code to have a fitting connection in the wall.

Brian Elfert
06-19-2013, 11:18 PM
Does a crimped fitting require an access panel when placed in a wall?

Brad Adams
06-21-2013, 10:33 PM
No, you can install all the joints you want. You should check them under pressure before they are covered.

C Scott McDonald
06-22-2013, 10:11 AM
I re-plumbed my town house with Uponor Pex and had really good luck with it. They have all the boxes, elbows and connections to make everything easy.

I got all my stuff from pexsupply.com

I am going to finish my basement in my new house and will use it again if I can figure out a safe way to transition from cpvc to pex.

John Lanciani
06-22-2013, 5:09 PM
...if I can figure out a safe way to transition from cpvc to pex.

Just glue a female adaptor on the cpvc and get a male threaded pex fitting. Thread the adaptors together with teflon tape and off you go.

Brad Adams
06-23-2013, 9:43 AM
We usually use shark bite connectors to transition from cpvc to pex. You have to be careful if you use a female adapter on cpvc. Use a female adapter with the rubber seal if you go that route, without the rubber the hot connection will be leaking in no time.