PDA

View Full Version : A chip breaker bending the iron?

steven c newman
06-19-2013, 6:03 PM
Sounds strange? The latest Rusty& Crusty Plane to show up had a thicker CB than the "Made in USA" iron. Looked along the length of the iron, nice curves. :eek: Back needed to to ground flat, sanding belt wasn't getting it done. Edge was "wavy". had a spot that was further out than the rest of the edge. Will be replaced, as I have a spare. Anyone else notice a Chipbreaker bending an iron?:confused:

Jim Koepke
06-19-2013, 6:09 PM
Sometimes if they are over tensioned (bent too much). In my post on "Junker to Jointer" my recollection is that one plane is shown with a bowed blade lifting off of the frog due to excess CB force.

jtk

Ryan Baker
06-19-2013, 6:53 PM
Sure, i've seen lots of those.

David Weaver
06-19-2013, 7:06 PM
The iron assembly often looks bent when tensioned by the chipbreaker. Never noticed a negative effect in terms of performance.

steven c newman
06-19-2013, 7:32 PM
This iron stayed bent, even after the CB was removed. Got things sharpened up, after getting the edge flat264741264742 just some wormy Barn Wood, to make it feel at home. No chatter, either...

george wilson
06-19-2013, 9:36 PM
Yes,blades bend. The old blades aren't real thick on Stanley type planes. All it does is make the blade cut at a higher angle,which is better for planing hardwood,any way.

Kees Heiden
06-20-2013, 3:53 AM
Even the thick laminated blades from woodies are bent when you tighten the chipbreaker screw. It might even be helpfull with the bedding of the iron, because it only touches at the bottom and the top, where it needs to touch. So if you have a slight bulge in the middle, it might just clear this bulge because it is bend.

david charlesworth
06-23-2013, 3:19 AM
Steven,

The above is spot on.

All chipbreakers bend the blade except possibly the Record Stay Set model.

No need to do anything.

Best wishes,
David Charlesworth

steven c newman
06-23-2013, 9:54 AM
That may well be, but, when the iron STAYS bent after I remove the chipbreaker?? I have had a couple show up like that. Take the cb off, and the iron is still bent. last one was a dilly! Bent length-wise, AND across. Barely got the back flattened back up, maybe right along the edge. BIG hollow in back. Iron was in a nice curve down the length, too. Wierd.....

Kees Heiden
06-23-2013, 1:36 PM
I don't know how bad you r iron was, but I went to the shop and put a straigtedge to a couple of blades. I couldn't find one straight in the length. One Stanley blade was about 0.5 mm round. The old laminated woodie blades can be all over. But you can bend these easilly in the soft steel part. As long as about 1" of the back is flat, you're good to go.

steven c newman
06-23-2013, 2:50 PM
This one must be a thin one, looking at 1/32 bend. As for flat264973good thing it is going to ebay? That is as flat as I could get it. Iron is marked "Made in USA", and that is all it is marked as. Thin as.....

Kees Heiden
06-23-2013, 3:14 PM
Looks like a Japanese iron. It's a feature, not a defect!

Jim Neeley
06-23-2013, 6:28 PM
Maybe it was made in Usa, Japan?

Just kidding. For anyone not knowing the Urban Ledgend of Post-WWII Japan exporting goods to the USA they had made in Usa, Japan, and stamping them "MADE IN USA", check Snopes.com for Usa, Japan.

Jim in Alaska