PDA

View Full Version : malikta sharpener package (gloat)

Jack Wood
05-20-2005, 10:45 PM
Just got my Makita Sharpener package from Highland Hardware, who are really nice to do business with, I spent 30 minutes figuring it out and then put a sweet edge on my Dleta "disposable" planer blades. At $25 or so for a new set of blades this will pay for it's self in no time. I then sharpened every thing with an edge in my shop!:D I have always dreaded trying to sharpen things, for some people it comes easy but I never could quite get that hair shaving edge everyone braggs about,until now. It also came with a nice set of chisels. I bought it because so many people on this board recomended it and they were right! THANKS!:D

Keith Outten
05-21-2005, 5:20 AM
Jack,

When you are sharpening planer blades with the brown stone watch the edge carefully as you run it across the stone. Adjust the water flow so it flows over the entire blade, it is very rare but if your blade is cracked you will see an indication pop up. This is a result of a very small magnetic field that is generated in the blade by the grinding process and the small filings that are being removed are attracted to an interuption in the magnetic field in the blade.

I found a cracked blade once when sharpening and verified the crack with a dye penetrant test. Sure enough the blade had a transverse crack across the face about 60% of the blade width. Now you know the second reason why I am so pleased with my Makita Sharpener.

Jack Wood
05-21-2005, 7:14 AM
Thanks keith, Ill watch for that next time around! What is a dye penetrant test?

Jeff Sudmeier
05-22-2005, 8:16 AM
Jack,

Congrats on the new sharpener! Are your delta blades indexed? I had always read that you shouldn't sharpen indexed blades because you can't adjust them in the head.

The reason I ask is my craftsman planer has indexed blades.

Thanks!

Jeff

Keith Outten
05-22-2005, 8:34 AM
Jack,

A dye penetrant test is a nondestructive testing technique that uses a dye that has special characteristics that allow it to penetrate into very fine crevices such as base material and weld defects. The dye is applied to the surface for a period of time which allows the dye to enter a crevice via capillary action. Next the surface dye is removed and a blotting agent is applied to the surface, something like a chalk is sprayed on. The blotting agent will pull the dye from the crevice and a representation of the defect wil be visible on the surface.

Jack Wood
05-23-2005, 7:29 AM
Jeff I don't know if they are indexed or not. I do know that the edge I put on the blades did not remove a lot of material so it shouldn't be a big difference. I've seen other postings where people have sharpened Delta planer blades like mine and have had no problems. Keith, that test sounds like something a professional machine shop might do, would a home hobbyist need to do these test?