Raymond Fries
06-18-2013, 12:12 PM
http://www.prochan.com/embed?f=e53_1351184775

Hope this never happens to you.

Take Care and Enjoy Life...

David Weaver
06-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Best thing I've seen in a while :)

We have lights on the tunnels here, but every once in a while someone ignores them when they indicate overheight. The height is not that low, though.

Richard Shaefer
06-18-2013, 12:51 PM
I like that the 'correct' answer was to bolt in a steel W section barricade beam at the height of the bridge just ahead of the superstructure rather than undercut the road below. ;)

I've been in these meeting before. They go like this:

DOT- your bridge is too low. Federal minimum is 16'-6"
RR Owner - our bridge has been there for over 100 years, which predates your pathetic federal highway standards, therefore, your truck heights are not our problem. We'll just mount a barricade beam to protect our bridge.
DOT- How about if we undercut the road under your bridge for clearance?
RR Owner- you touch the bridge, or the ground under it, you own both forevermore.
DOT - install the barricade beam.

Mel Fulks
06-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Certainly unsafe for Popemobiles .

David Weaver
06-18-2013, 1:54 PM
I like that the 'correct' answer was to bolt in a steel W section barricade beam at the height of the bridge just ahead of the superstructure rather than undercut the road below. ;)

So would it be referred to as a can opener or a van opener?

Certainly, camping with air conditioning isn't really camping, and this guard has really helped people experience the outdoors a little better.

Matt Meiser
06-18-2013, 2:13 PM
We used to have a bridge like that but they raised it during a reconstruction.

Jeff Monson
06-18-2013, 2:38 PM
Tough bridge for sure! Hard to believe that many people didn't realize the height of their trucks, campers, etc. Maybe a "low bridge height" sign would have been in order.

Myk Rian
06-22-2013, 8:25 AM
Maybe a "low bridge height" sign would have been in order.
An 11' 8" sign isn't enough? Not to mention the flashing over-height lights.

Jim Koepke
06-23-2013, 1:56 PM
An 11' 8" sign isn't enough? Not to mention the flashing over-height lights.

No matter how idiot proof something is designed to be, someone is going to come along and be a bigger and better idiot than your design team ever imagined.

jtk

Brian Elfert
06-24-2013, 11:14 AM
I almost hit a bridge in a small town in Pennsylvania with my motorhome. I missed the small sign with the height on it, but I realized it was probably too low and stopped before I got to the bridge. This was along the Northeast corridor where there might be a dozen bridges in a single small town and only a few of them are tall enough for trucks/motorhomes.