PDA

View Full Version : Random questions

Brian Kent
06-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Unsolved mysteries:

1) My 3M half-mask respirator does not fit with goggles, so I use a 3m face shield. Are there goggles that fit with the half-mask (that I can wear under my shield?)

2) If I buy one CBN grinding wheel, and there are two sides to the Wolverine grinding jig, which side should I use it on?

3) How many tools do I need?

Sean Hughto
06-18-2013, 11:46 AM
No.

The right one.

More than you have.

Brian Kent
06-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Thank you for clearing that up, Sean.

Dan Forman
06-18-2013, 1:05 PM
1. I wear bi focal safety glasses with my 3m half mask and Bionic face shield with no problem. Without the glasses, some debris can still get in behind the face shield. It should not be considered a substitute for safety glasses. I have never felt a need for goggles when using both glasses and the face shield.

2. Whichever side you feel most comfortable using, as it will be used the most.

3. You will need one more. This will always be true.

Dan

Prashun Patel
06-18-2013, 1:39 PM
1) Just stick tissue paper in your nose and don't breathe through your mouth
2) The side that spins
3) None. Send them to me.

Brian Kent
06-18-2013, 3:19 PM
By question #2 I actually meant the vari-grind side or the platform side.

Brian Kent
06-18-2013, 3:24 PM
Thank you Dan. I had not thought about the fact that safety glasses are smaller than goggles.

Michael Stafford
06-19-2013, 4:41 AM
1. Cleaning out sawdust buggers is a much undervalued hobby. I wear safety glasses under my face shield.

2. Go ahead and order the second CBN wheel and stop worrying about which side to place the first one. Place it on the vari-grind side.

3. Just remember this about tools; you are just one tool away from greatness. I can't tell you which tool that is but if you keep buying them you will find the one I am talking about.

John Keeton
06-19-2013, 6:17 AM
Brian, as to the CBN, I suppose Mike's comment was made in jest!;) There really is no "vari-grind side" as the arms are interchangeable. I use the vari-grind for my gouges, but the platform for scrapers and my hollowing cutters. The choice of which side is probably dictated more by whether you are more comfortable with it on the right side. I am right handed, and that seems to be better for me. I don't recall if you have the Woodcraft grinder, but you may consider which AO wheel you want to replace. I replaced the finer grit wheel (100 grit, I think) and left the coarse AO wheel (60?).

As to tools, i.e. cutting tools, unlike most, it seems I have reached the saturation point. I tend to still look at new tools, but haven't bought any in quite some time, and don't really see the need. Not counting the half dozen that are stored in a drawer for lack of use, I have about 18 tools in my racks that I use with regularity. Accessories are another matter, and as new ideas arrive in the market, I am usually tempted!

Steve Rost
06-19-2013, 7:47 AM
If your talking about the universal base of the wolveriene system I might can help. The cam that locks each jig can be removed and switched so that the arm swings on the left or right. That way they both can lock by pushing the arm away from you (left side or right side of the grinder) GET the second wheel!

Mike Cruz
06-19-2013, 9:08 AM
I don't know.

Seriously, get two! Both 180 grit (no need for the 80 grit). If you have only one, you won't end up using the other wheel anymore anyway, and you'll get tired of switching the varigrind and platforms back and forth, back and forth, back and forth...lining them up each time. I'm not just saying this...I did it!

How many tools do you need? You can get by with probably 3. Most likely, you'll want (and use) a LOT more. Sets can be a waste of money. Figure out what things you like, and would like to have, then buy good quality ones of those. 2-4 bowl gouges; 2 (one large, one small) skews; 1-4 scrapers; 1-3 parting tools. That is for bowl turning, and is, in my mind, kind of a minimum. Then there is spindle turning. Of which, you'll be able to use some of those for bowls, too. Doing pens and finials? You'll probably want mini tools for detailing. Want to core? Get a coring set. Want to hollow? Get hollowing tools/hollowing system. Want to do chase threads? Get a threader. Want to do details? There are tools for that. Need to turn stone or stone filler (inlace)? Get some carbide tools. The point is, depending on what kind of turning you are doing and what you want to do within that discipline, you'll need different tools. So, this is a very hard question to answer. The one before it was easy, though. :D

Jeff Gilfor
06-19-2013, 10:11 AM
I have both 80 and 180 grit CBN's. I use the 80 exclusively for flat and hand ground tools (scrapers, olands, roughers, and classic ground gouges). I use the 180 side for everything else, and everything that goes into the jig. I feel like the rough wheel gives a better burr for my scrapers.

Brian Kent
06-19-2013, 10:19 AM
I see I failed the intelligence test - about the wolverine arms being interchangeable! :rolleyes:

Joe Kaufman
06-19-2013, 10:40 AM
I had been thinking about purchasing the second CBN wheel. I'm gad I held off as Dave now has a wheel with radius edges, useful in scraper sharpening.

How many tools? I just placed an order yesterday for a couple more of Doug Thompson tools, one is basically a duplicate. I believe I am getting closer, but I realize that it is a moving target. On the other side of this, I can remember club demo's and the demonstrator will bring 4-5 tools and use a skew for a bunch of operations then turn around and use a detail gouge and repeat the same operations. It’s difficult to evaluate developing the needed skill with the tools you have or modifying existing unused tools vs. the apparent ease of what that new tool may allow you to do.

Michael Mills
06-19-2013, 10:46 AM
I wear safety glasses under my shield, not safety goggles. These are about $22 at Home Depot. I use the bifocal which are $12 rather than these which are $9. They do have the + rating.
http://www.gogglesandglasses.com/dpg5811d_232.html (http://www.gogglesandglasses.com/dpg5811d_232.html)
I use the 3M 100P respirator mask and they seal very tight. Your half mask may be hard sides? If so I do not know if the glasses will work well with them or not. The masks are rated for up to 160 hours but I normally toss them in about half that time. About $7 or probably the same as replacement filters in a hard-side respirator.

Brian Kent
06-19-2013, 11:52 AM
YOu are right about the hard sides. I use the 3M 7500 series half-mask. The shield fits just fine over it but the glasses or goggles are not fitting above the nosepiece. I think I will try the 3M 100P respirator mask you use. I have not used prescription safety glasses, but I have been using the wrap around safety glasses and not the goggles. Neither fit well above the 3M 7500 series half-mask.

I just wrote to 3M so see if they have a recommendation for using the 7500 half mask with safety glasses or goggles.