PDA

View Full Version : Selling No. 72 to Jim Bode

Mike Hutchison
06-18-2013, 8:01 AM
I have a No. 72 Chamfer Plane which I have decided is not a needed part of
my tool "User Group". I contacted Jim Bode and asked if he would be interested in purchasing the plane. A selling price was agreed upon.
If anyone else here has sold to him in the past, would like to know
if I ship him the plane will I get a check in return in a reasonable time frame?
jtk, thanks for input

John Lanciani
06-18-2013, 8:51 AM
I've never dealt with Jim but I suspect that if you were buying he wouldn't send you a tool and wait for payment. Why should it be any different when he is buying? Payment before shipment is the norm.

David Weaver
06-18-2013, 8:58 AM
I can't imagine he wouldn't pay you. I'd also be surprised if he'd pay before he gets a chance to look over a tool. He's a dealer, and dealer deals in their favor most of the time (not specifically bode, but anyone).

On something that so easily sells on ebay, though, I would spend a little time taking as good of pictures as possible in good light with a stationary camera (on a tripod, table top, whatever) and writing a description and selling it.

If it was something rare that pops up once every 15 months, then I wouldn't do that because there isn't a steady stream of buyers, but there's no shortage of 72s that have sold between $130 and $300+ in the last few months.

The ones on the low side are missing parts (irons, etc) or have incorrect parts on them. If yours is clean and correct and complete, I'd expect mid to high side, and if you're not a risk taker, list a BIN, it costs nothing or almost nothing.

Charlie Stanford
06-18-2013, 8:59 AM
I have a No. 72 Chamfer Plane which I have decided is not a needed part of
my tool "User Group". I contacted Jim Bode and asked if he would be interested in purchasing the plane. A selling price was agreed upon.
If anyone else here has sold to him in the past, would like to know
if I ship him the plane will I get a check in return in a reasonable time frame?
jtk, thanks for input

Set up a PayPal account. He'll pay you by that method.

Sam Takeuchi
06-18-2013, 8:59 AM
I've never dealt with Jim but I suspect that if you were buying he wouldn't send you a tool and wait for payment. Why should it be any different when he is buying? Payment before shipment is the norm.

I don't know about J. Bode, but some used tool dealers send you tools first and if you like it, you pay. If not, send it back.

David Weaver
06-18-2013, 9:01 AM
Yeah, old tool rules. he doesn't sell by that. Sandy Moss does, and someone who used to run another now defunct list definitely does, too (akbar and jeff's tools maybe?).

John Powers
06-18-2013, 9:34 AM
isn't this between you and Jim?

Steve Voigt
06-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Why not sell it on the creek's classified section? Bode is just going to turn around and sell it for double or triple what he pays you, whereas someone on the creek is more likely to be a user who will be grateful to get the tool.

Harold Burrell
06-19-2013, 6:34 AM
Why not sell it on the creek's classified section? Bode is just going to turn around and sell it for double or triple what he pays you, whereas someone on the creek is more likely to be a user who will be grateful to get the tool.

Yeah. I was thinking that too.

Jim Koepke
06-19-2013, 11:58 AM

Mike PMed me about this and my suggestion was to ask in this open forum.

Mike would have to pay to be a contributor to sell it in the SMC Classifieds. That is one good reason to be a contributor.

A question that came to mind for me was is Mr. Bode the kind of dealer that will mention one price before the item is shipped and another once he receives the item claiming unforeseen problems?

My brother comes to mind in this. He buys and sells antiques. He is always telling me about how someone has bought something from him and then later gloats about the profit they made selling it. My brother just laughs and says he also made a good profit on the item.

The plane sold on SMC might make a bit more than what is being offered by Jim Bode. As said before, Jim Bode is buying the item to make a profit.

For me there are many things that are involved in an inquiry such as this. What was the offer? Does the seller need to sell now? Is the need for cash, space or just to get it out of their life?

My tendency is to "bank" tools that are not needed by me to sell off in order to buy another tool that has caught my fancy.

jtk

David Weaver
06-19-2013, 12:25 PM
I met a guy like your brother at an antique mall where I was last year. He had put out gobs of stuff he'd gotten, I guess at estate sales. I got a primo #6 stanley with perfect knob and tote, later model, but rosewood and not beech - for $15. It took about 2 minutes to get the iron in use shape, the rest of it was cleaner than most of my cleaned planes, but with patina.

He also had 4 #7s, 3 stanleys and an edwin hahn #7 size that I really should've bought. All of them were $20 each, all were in great shape - you could buy 10 problem free planes on the open market and not have any as nice as the four 7s and the 6. I sat on the fence about them because I don't need them at all, and I figured that I could probably sell them to someone on here for half of ebay market price and that would be good for SMCers (but it's a PITA to pack and ship long planes), and I decided that evening I'd go back and get the edwin hahn plane for myself to be a pig, and distribute the rest of the 7s here blue light special.

Someone picked them all up, of course, and the guy was at his booth when I went in. He said "I do most of my selling to dealers", and I mentioned to him that he might've been a bit low even for that. He didn't care as long as he made what he wanted to on them.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Bode's tools came from knowledgable pickers. I'd imagine also he has a lot more room to work (in what he offers) than a lot of the sellers who are better for users just because he's asking so much more.

I'd still sell anything with collectable value on ebay myself, though, you'll just end out ahead over time if you have good feedback and you can take a decent picture and convey what's being sold. You and the buyer are likely to both get a better deal that way.

Chris Griggs
06-19-2013, 12:37 PM
My brother comes to mind in this. He buys and sells antiques.

Ha! I knew you and Steven were related!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Seems to me if it's in good shape, it's a tool better suited to a collector anyways - doesn't seem like it's the sort of thing anyone is going to use that much - not that I know a whole lot, but I've certainly not heard of a lot of folks clamoring for one, and it's not like it accomplishes a task you can't do with a bench plane and a little skill.

Jim Koepke
06-19-2013, 1:03 PM
Ha! I knew you and Steven were related!

Well, the brother mentioned is named Steve, but it is a different Steve.

jtk

Jim Matthews
06-19-2013, 1:15 PM
My tendency is to "bank" tools that are not needed by me to sell off in order to buy another tool that has caught my fancy.
jtk

"Honey, don't you know Piggy Banks were made out of rusty cast iron?"
At last, the proper description - I'm not hoarding saws, I'm "banking" them.

Chris Hachet
06-19-2013, 9:47 PM
"Honey, don't you know Piggy Banks were made out of rusty cast iron?"
At last, the proper description - I'm not hoarding saws, I'm "banking" them.
And I am enjoying saws every chance I get...