PDA

View Full Version : Brand new and looking for lathe/info

Devin Gorder
06-18-2013, 12:11 AM
Hi to all,

This looks like a great site from what I have read- tons of valuable information- most I dont have a clue on. yet.

I have decided to take up turning as a new hobby- I have done some, very minor, and that was about 15yrs ago.

I am now looking for a lathe to purchase, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I suspect this topic has been beat to death on the forum- so if there is alink to an old post Id appreciate that just as much as having you repeat something you have gone into previously.

My budget is around the 4k mark with some room to move, and I am located in Canada. My interest is in larger things- bowls etc. Pens and small stuff just dont appeal that much- no offence to those that love them.

At this point I have nothing, no tools, no lathe, no sawdust on the floor, so any and all help would be very much appreciated.

We live where there are big pines/spruces/birch/poplar/maples

Thank you for your time and I look forward to being an active part on this site as my turning evolves

John Keeton
06-18-2013, 7:28 AM
Devin, first - welcome to the creek! You picked a great place to hang out. There are a lot of great turners here that love to offer guidance. I suspect most will tell you that the accessories will easily equal or exceed the cost of the lathe, so you will want to consider that.

The Jet 1642-2 (2hp model) is on sale right now for about $2,000, with free shipping. That would leave you plenty of room for all the other goodies, and there will be many.

Steve Schlumpf
06-18-2013, 7:41 AM
Devin - Welcome to the Creek! Being so new to turning... I highly suggest getting with a local turning club or some experienced turners in your area. That will help you to learn what you need to turn bowls versus what you think will work. If you list your location in your profile, we may be able to help find turners close to you so you can learn some basics of turning before you start buying equipment.

Good luck and I look forward to following your progress while learning to turn!

Thom Sturgill
06-18-2013, 7:45 AM
I am not Canadian, so I can not address specific product availability. With $4K to spend I wouold consider $3K of the machine and $1000 for accessories. (When I said that, please realize that my grinder station has close to that invested.)

That would buy a Jet 1642 or similar lathe. $2300 - $2700 (+ shipping & taxes) depending on model (110v 1 1/2hp or 220v 2hp
). Good solid lathe and leaves plenty to start collecting tools. A Powermatic 35320B would need just about the full $4K base price by itself but is a great lathe.

You need a grinder - slow speed 8" is preferred
OneWay wolverine jig with a Vari-grind attachment (or equal, but oneway is pretty standard.)
Faceshield

gouges - many threads on here about that but get decent ones M2 & Powder Metal hold up well, many like the carbide ones for roughing.
but both 3/8 and 1/2" bowl gouges you can go bigger and smaller later as you feel the need and double up to have different grinds on hand or to just keep a backup sharpened so that you do not have to stop turning to sharpen in the middle of shaping.

skew chisel at least one, most like having 2 - one about 1/2" wide and one much heavier
bowl scraper
3/8" spindle gouge
Spindle Roughing Gouge - SRG may not be needed , I know several turners that just use their largest bowl gouge.
parting tool - I don't like the diamond shaped ones and prefer the 1/8" flat ones.

training - this can be formal training, but at least start with some DVDs and find another turner to show you the ropes.
Club membership - check the AAW (woodturner.org) site for clubs near you, this goes with above.

4 Jaw Scroll Chucks - at least one to start, most people seem to accumulate half a dozen or so as we don't like to take the time to change jaws.

This is of course just a start - they call this the vortex for a reason. You will need some way to reverse the bowl in order to smooth the bottom and there are many options - jamb chucks, cole jaws, donout chucks, longworth chucks, vacuum chucks and most can be DIY projects with some purchased parts.

Dennis Nagle
06-18-2013, 8:47 AM
Welcome to the Creek! For me, joining a local turning club really helped because I made friends that showed me tricks and tip, I saw many different types and models of lathes and tools, and at every meeting the members would show off their work which gave me ideas and inspiration.

I get all that here too, but starting out, I had to see and touch the stuff to understand it.

Devin Gorder
06-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Thanks a bunch men!!
I have contacted the local clubs, but they are very small and off for the summer.
I do know a few guys that turn, but you have given me more info already. ha ha

I likely wont be doing that much turning until the winter rolls around- I am in Sask, Canada- so will have plenty of it. Maybe I call install some flood lights overhead and get a tan at the same time. Summer and fall are tough times to do anything but garden/work outside/and mucho fishing and even more hunting!!! Plus work also gets in the way.

I wil look into the jet and the powermatic today as time permits.

I have heard lots about the one ways etc, but really dont want to drop 6k on something just for the lathe.

Dennis Nagle
06-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Those club members are always a good resource for used lathes as well. Some of them may have up graded and still have their old lathes. It is worth the call-around.

Good luck and welcome to the vortex.

Wally Dickerman
06-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Devin, do yourself a big favor and take a lesson or two from a good teacher. You will be very glad you did. The teacher or mentor can guide you with lathe and tool selections. Books and videos are fine but there is no subsitute for hands on learning.

Jeremy Hamaker
06-19-2013, 11:13 AM
I concur with the Jet 1642 opinion. I recommend the 2 HP model. Yes, it's 220v, but if you don't have that already, then I also strongly suggest you add 220v to the shop.
The second thing to get is a grinder and a sharpening jig. The 8" grinders that operate at slower speed are recommended (1725rpm...). At a minimum you should use Aluminum Oxide wheels on it. CBN wheels sound like they're the Bees Knees and are something that I can't wait to get for myself. Do not use the common, dark grey, really rough wheels. Those are for axes and machetes, not chisels and gouges. I concur with the recommendation to get the Wolverine Sharpening Jig set and Vari-Grind jig.
The third thing to get is a couple of tools. Do not buy a 'starter set'. Several of the tools in those may never see use, and of the tools that do get used, you will probably find you wanted a more robust version. To do bowls, I concur with getting two bowl gouges: a 1/2 and a 3/8. Bowl gouges are measured differently in different places. My opinion above is based on the width of the flute on the gouge. If you're measuring the diameter of the steel shaft, it would translate to a 5/8 and a 1/2 gouge.
Then I recommend holding on to the rest of your money (for now). Go to the club meetings, scour YouTube for the good videos on how to do EVERYTHING with a lathe. (There's good, and there's plenty of bad too. Remember to use your wisdom to help you discern. If it looks precarious or reckless, don't do it that way!) Pick up a copy of "The Frugal Woodturner" Book by Ernie Conover. Consider learning how to make and use the different jigs and holding methods within it before you splash out on all the fancy chucks and faceplates and such that we woodturners love to buy.
If you do get into bowls, then strongly consider a (at least) 14" bandsaw next if you don't already have one. Having one will greatly help you prepare bowl blanks.
By the time you're set up, You'll end up with at least one 4-jaw chuck, almost certainly more. You'll have several examples of bowl gouges, a detail gouge or two and at least one parting tool. If you do get into spindle turning (and I bet you will) then you'll end up with a couple spindle roughing gouges, a skew or two, and a couple specialty tools like a bedan for example...
That Jet lathe will most probably last you your lifetime and you won't outgrow it. The urge will be great to buy all the tools and jigs and accessories but if you can resist for a while, you won't end up with a bunch of stuff lying around (Like I do...).
This is how I would have done it if I'd known better at the time. Take it for what it's worth.
And hey, you might be surprised to find you do a little pen turning too... They can be neat and fun. Also quick, and a great way to use little pieces of that BEAUTIFUL wood that are too small for anything else...
Good luck, good fortune. Learn a lot, and let us know what you do!
Cheers!

Devin Gorder
06-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Awesome information.
I really appreciate it. Reading it over and making notes gets me excited.

Has anyone heard of an general lathe, they are made in canada. One guy mentoned to me up here, but have heard zero else about them. I do like what I am hearing about the jet lathes.

I will take the tool info into consideration, and make a trip to the city in a few weeks to explore a few wood shops w my list in hand.

Can anyone rccd the best place to buy jet?

Kyle Iwamoto
06-19-2013, 12:40 PM
I got my Jet 1642-2 from Sean at Tool Nut. Google them. 2K is a great buy, if that is who John had in mind.

John Keeton
06-19-2013, 12:57 PM
I bought mine from Sean, as well. I believe the current sale is pretty universal - the price I saw with a quick search was actually Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/708359-JWL-1642EVS-Horsepower-Electronic-Woodworking/dp/B00064NGRE, but I feel quite confident Sean will do as good, or better. I guess the issue would be shipping to Canada - not sure what that does to the equation. The above is for the 1.5hp - I didn't notice that in my original search. The 2hp is $2,252.

From what I understand, the General lathes are well thought of, but I do not know much about them. The 5 year warranty, and good customer service, speak highly of the Jet. And, yes, it will handle about anything you throw at it. You can also turn outboard on it for work larger than 16" by sliding the headstock down.

Dennis Nagle
06-19-2013, 2:55 PM
You mentioned the Oneway in an earlier post and said it was too expensive. They make a model comparable to the Jet. You might want to check them out.

Reed Gray
06-19-2013, 3:31 PM
General are very good tools. They were Canadian originally, but now are made out of country. I think Busy Bee or some thing like that is a generic brand up there. Not too sure how the availability of Jet/PM tools is up there. Oneway is a Canadian company, and are very high end. I do prefer a sliding headstock to a stationary one, which is why I bought a PM3520 many years ago. I now have a Robust, which is American made. Many choices, limited only by how much you want to spend. Big yes on getting together with other turners. I had some friends from Winnipeg, and they commented, "there are two seasons up here, winter and construction".

robo hippy

Dennis Nagle
06-19-2013, 6:12 PM
I thought it was June, July, and winter.

Devin Gorder
06-19-2013, 6:37 PM
This is a tough decision.
I seem yo have jet/oneway/general up on screen all day.
IMO one way is $$$ and prob keeping it off the top of the list.

Any negatives w Jet at all?

Jeffrey J Smith
06-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Devon: the Jet is a great lathe to start with. I turned on one for about 4 years. There is little that it won't allow you to do. The only weak spot is the banjo, but I doubt that it will be a game breaker for most. It's plenty powerful for turning up to it's swing limits, has a sliding headstock that spoiled me for many other lathes and has the capacity to turn decently long spindles if you ever need to. If you want to max out your budget, look into Robust lathes - the Sweet 16 will swing up to an amazing 30 inches or so, yet is compact.

David C. Roseman
06-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Devin, great fun trying to decide what lathe to get! You're getting good advice here. I went through this a year ago and researched it pretty thoroughly, before going with the new Grizzly G0733. Couldn't be happier with it, so you may want to add it to your list. Since you're in Canada, have a look at the new Craftex CX802 that Busy Bee Tools is selling. It seems to be the equivalent of the G0733. Their web site lists showrooms in Edmonton and Calgary, so depending on where in Saskatchewan you're located, it might not be too far to go to kick the tires. :)

David

Devin Gorder
06-20-2013, 1:04 PM
Thanks guys,

That sweet 16 does look sweet.

More to look at over the day and weekend. Rain setting in but the walleye and pike will still bite hard.
Had a guy in the office swear by a general this am, but he does only turn small things on it.

Looking more into Jet/Robust/ General

We have more than june july here.
Best change of seasons on the planet. Yes a bit chilly in the deep cold winter, but great time for indoor projects and garage work- plus ice fishing.

Reed Gray
06-20-2013, 1:27 PM
I will be on the water on Tuesday in NW Ontario, chasing Northern. More fun than the walleye......

robo hippy

John Keeton
06-20-2013, 3:19 PM
Devin, I take it that the budget may have some "flex" in it since you are including Robust in the mix!:D Just to add a little to the considerations, while my "toys" probably pale in comparison to many turners, the following is a quick "rounded" summary of my turning "requirements."

Hollowing systems and related items - $1200
Gouges, scrapers, handles and such - $1000
Woodburning equipment - $400
Chucks, jaws and adapters - $1500, if bought at retail new.
Rests, steady, etc. - $400
Finishing supplies, dyes, etc. - $300, and these require replenishing
Specialty wood, veneers, etc. - $1000, and probably a lot more, but I don't want to think about it
Odds and ends - $400

So, that is about $6,200, and doesn't include any carving tools, piercing tools, finish spray equipment, pen turning equipment, coring system, and on and on. I have the Jet 1642-2, as mentioned, which was about $2200 when I bought it.

As they say, the lathe is just the beginning....

Get the best you can afford on the lathe and tools, but go slow as your interests will evolve as you learn and want to try new things. Above all, enjoy the ride!

Roy Turbett
06-24-2013, 1:38 PM
If woodturning is the only hobby you want to get into, by all means look at all of the newer lathes mentioned above. They have all of the modern features that are geared toward production work as well as producing works of art. However, if you also enjoy tinkering with machines you may want to consider an older classic such as a Yates, Oliver or Powermatic 90. I get just as much enjoyment out of rebuilding older American made machines as I do from woodturning and have three Powermatic 90's in my shop as well as a Jet mini lathe. I also have alot of company that drops in to share in the fun.

Devin Gorder
06-25-2013, 10:17 AM
After looking and looking, and looking I am close to choosing a powermatic.
Awaiting a call from a store owner as close to me as possible to work out a shipping deal. I am thinking deduct it from the price of lathe but we will see what he says as it is about 500m away and freight is not cheap these days!

Wgile setting up a couple trail cams yesterday pm, I found a wicked looking spruce with a big twist/burough?? not sure how the heck to spell that. Anyways no saw with me but the gps was more than happy to remember where it was. It is in prov forest so can cut away!!!

A future project.

Brian Kent
06-25-2013, 4:32 PM
Devin, if you can afford the Powermatic, I will applaud your decision. Only you know the pace at which you could buy your basic tool set and then expand into adventure-land. But everyone who has them loves them.