PDA

View Full Version : Open paths in RDCAM etc

Kay Bengtson
06-17-2013, 6:41 PM
I'm researching the Chinese lasers for a second laser. I have read that RDCAM requires closed paths in the .ai files that are sent to it from AutoCAD and CorelDraw. My ULS allows open paths to I can have tabs in my model airplane parts so they don't fall out when put in the package. How do you cut just a line in RDCAM?

Kay

Scott Shepherd
06-17-2013, 8:05 PM
I'm researching the Chinese lasers for a second laser. I have read that RDCAM requires closed paths in the .ai files that are sent to it from AutoCAD and CorelDraw. My ULS allows open paths to I can have tabs in my model airplane parts so they don't fall out when put in the package. How do you cut just a line in RDCAM?

Kay

Hi Kay, I can't answer that, and you might not have considered it, but the Trotec has a built in feature that will tab anything automatically. You can even make it burn 80% through on the tabs if you wish (or 50%, or whatever). You can define the length of the tab and the power setting for that tab itself, relative to the power for the rest of it.

It's very slick and works really well. I would image it would be quite a time saver for someone like yourself. Just something to think about.

Rich Harman
06-17-2013, 8:30 PM

Kay

It does not recognize fill or line width. If you have a closed shape you have the choice of either cut or scan. If you scan then it will raster everything inside that closed shape. If you cut then it will follow the line.

So the only time an enclosed path is required is if you want to raster.

You can just erase the bit where you want the tabs to be. If you want you can put a different color line in those spots so that it cuts only partially through.

Kay Bengtson
06-17-2013, 8:48 PM
Scott,
The Trotec machines seem really top shelf but out of my price range.

Rich, I have the tabs already in the cutting file in DWG format. So what you are saying is that RDCAM allows these gaps. That is super. Thanks! Now, If it would only allow AutoCAD 2000i. Apparently, it must be AutoCAD 2004 or later. As it is I suspect that I'd have to save each run as a DXF and import into RDCAM.

Kay

Rich Harman
06-17-2013, 10:48 PM
Don't know about the AutoCad capability. If you want to send a file I can try it and report back.

Rodne Gold
06-18-2013, 3:40 AM
RDcam does not actually run directly off ACAD or Corel...all it does when you fire it up from either is do an "auto" export and fires up Rdcam and import into it, you might as well just export manually and fire up and import into rdcam.. it may take 10 secs longer...

The way RDcam works with lines with width is the more "correct" way than most "what you see is what you get" laser drivers ex Corel... No Cnc machine or vinyl cutter or anything else barring a laser or printer will recognise lines with width .. we have had lots of issues with lines with width when importing someone else's Corel drawings .. I far prefer a closed curve with fill when representing these.

As other have said , broken or tabbed vector lines are not an issue.

Kay Bengtson
06-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Thank you both so much! I have really been scrutinizing these systems vs another overhaul of the old ULS. Sounds like the Asian machines might just have a way for me to proceed. Now, I have to decide on whose machine to buy. I am concerned about being able to etch simple vector labels in the balsa at 5 - 10% power after cutting the parts though. I use the default single line txt font in AutoCAD so it's fast to etch ( in vector mode) but I heard that some of these glass laser tubes can't fire at low power settings.

Kay

Rodne Gold
06-18-2013, 12:04 PM
The better tubes, like reci , fire more reliably at low power.. you would have to try it , but you might find that you can raster at high speed and low resolution at higher powers with the same effect.
You might actually find it quicker to just raster those vector labels , I have found that often , even with single line fonts , that vector engraving is slower than rastering..you could probably get away with some real rough resolution if rastering , like using stepovers in the order of 50-100 per inch (like dpi) which will make them even quicker and will result in far less overpowering of material.

Khalid Nazim
06-19-2013, 10:43 AM
@Kay - I actually export DXF from Corel and import the file in RDCAM. It works flawlessly every time and iss a very easy process to follow.

Regards
Khalid