PDA

View Full Version : tite mark gauges

Ralph Boumenot
06-17-2013, 4:25 PM
I have 3 of the tite mark marking gauges. A big one and two minis. I seem to be going through a lot of "marking discs" with the minis. I don't seem to get more than a month's wear out of them before the chip, fracture, and disintegrate. I use them mostly in pine and poplar. I also don't use every time I'm in the shop so it not like they are getting a constant 24/7 workout. The big one I haven't had that long and I use the minis more than I have used it. Curious as to what other users of these gauges are experiencing. Also looking at the pro/con of "wheel" marking gauges vs "pin" marking gauges.
At $9 a pop plus s/h- these aren't cheap enough to be replacing like this. Haven't heard of anyone replacing a pin?

David Weaver
06-17-2013, 4:37 PM
check with lee valley and find out if any of their wheels fit titemarks. The only trouble I've had with the veritas wheels is when I drop the gauge or bang something into it. Otherwise, you can use them and give them a quick hone by taking them off and putting them on the tip of your finger and working them quickly on a medium stone.

$9 is crazy. I think the veritas marking gauge blades are about $4.

All of my long marking gets a pin gauge, I just don't like having to figure out where the wheel line is in a long board going with the grain. Still like the wheel gauges for M&T shoulders and dovetails, though. Otherwise, it's false precision. For example, a double pin gauge for mortise and tenon will have you within a couple of thousandths of finished thickness, and the lines will be easier to make and see in a tenon. And you'll probably not wear out the pins in your lifetime.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-17-2013, 4:42 PM
Are you sharpening the pin gauge's pins with that "football" shaped single bevel, David?

I'd love to make some pin gauges - (well, actually, I have, I just haven't put the metal bits into 'em) but I need to find some appropriate pin material. I'd love to just get something I could sharpen up without dealing with heat treating.

Ralph Boumenot
06-17-2013, 5:39 PM
I agree with the dbl pin mortise gauge. I have one of them and it's what I use for m/t's. I'll have to check out the Lee Valley gauges - I'm not crazy about their ergonomics but less than 1/2 of $9 for their
wheels it's worth a look see.
thanx

David Weaver
06-17-2013, 5:44 PM
Call them and see if their wheels will work on titemarks. Might give you the best of both worlds.

David Weaver
06-17-2013, 5:53 PM
I didn't file the pins on my mortise gauge, at least not much that I can recall. I can understand why some people would, though. I filed them on my other gauges, but my stock is usually in a vise when I mark a tenon, which is the only potentially fiddly thing with the mortise gauge with long pins.

Tony Shea
06-18-2013, 6:10 AM
I've had my Titemark for about 3 years + and I have yet to buy a replacement blade for it. My LV I have had to buy only one replacement, which I've had the LV version longer. I use them both about the same amount as one is set up for marking with the bevel toward the face of the gauge and the Titemark has a wheel with a reverse bevel on it it. I use this gauge a lot when planing stock to thickness. But the wheel is a bit more blunted than the normal bevel wheel no mater how much you try sharpening it. It is just the shape of the bevel, is almost a bit too steep. But it still works fine.

Ralph Boumenot
06-18-2013, 6:30 AM
I checked the LV website and the tool catalog and their wheels look like the tite mark ones but only on the SS special marking gauge. I've got it on the wish list for my next order - for 4.95 it isn't going to bankrupt me if it doesn't fit.
It's encouraging that Tony has used his for such a long time - maybe I'm bearing down too hard, not sharpening it enough, or maybe I forgot to pay my taxes on it.