PDA

View Full Version : Second Maple Burl Shallow Bowl

Dick Parr
05-20-2005, 6:27 PM
Well here is the second of three maple burls I got that are punky. The first one so far was the best, this one is a bit worse then it was. I also didn't get all the cracks out of the bottom because I had to take so much out of the top side it is down to less then 3/16" thick and the cracks almost go all the way through. It finished out at 9" x 2" and is buffed with the 3 wheels.

Thanks for looking

John Hart
05-20-2005, 7:37 PM
Hi Dick,

Wow...what a pretty piece of wood! I like the form too....It very much belongs in my house.:rolleyes:

John Miliunas
05-20-2005, 8:35 PM
Oh wow, is right! Exquisite, Dick! Just beautiful.:) That's one great looking bowl and the burl ain't bad, either!:D :cool:

Ernie Nyvall
05-21-2005, 7:48 AM
Very nice Dick. I certainly wouldn't fret over a couple of cracks in that piece. :)

Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Pure EYE CANDY there, dick. :cool:

But, I expect THAT from you! :p :p :D

Bruce ;)

Carole Valentine
05-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Beautiful! I haven't had the opportunity to turn any burls yet.

Dick Parr
05-22-2005, 6:36 AM
Thanks everyone, :)

This piece was a little bit of pain to turn but got through it OK. I have found just in these two burls that they are different to turn then your run of the mill wood. But I would rather practice on these piece's then on one I buy for say $65 and then mess it up. I have one more small one to practice on and it is only about 7" in dia and I have no idea what it is going to look like because I can see NO grain pattern at all in the wood blank. :confused: But I'll give it my best shot.

Thanks again for the nice comments :)

Jim Ketron
05-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Nice job Dick!
cant beat the way a burl looks and this is a nice looking one buddy!