PDA

View Full Version : Sorby soverign like tool handle attempt

Bill Summerlin
06-16-2013, 8:44 PM
The sorby tool handle appears and feels like a wonderful handle at a not so wonderful price. This is my attempt at a home made copy. It takes 1.5 inch solid aluminum turned on the lathe drilled with 5/8 hole on one end and 3/4 hole tapped with national pipe threads on 3/4 end. Two holes drilled in the top 1/2 inch apart and inserts placed. 3/4 inch pipe screwed into the end as a handle, with PVC hose and end capped with a pipe cap. Here are the pics: any suggestions for improvements would be appreciated. I have enough aluminum and other materials to make a couple more and could incorporate upgrades to them. Thanks

Thom Sturgill
06-17-2013, 7:50 AM
I did something similar recently with aluminium tubing 1" dia 1/8" wall. and turned some 1 1/4" aluminum rod down to fit inside (3/4") drilled for 1/2" or 3/8" blade and 5/16" set screws. I epoxied the end piece into the tube. I made wooden plugs for the other end and inserted a wooden plug in one to allow for the addition of weight, but have not felt that I needed any. I also covered mine with the same PVC tubing.

I liked the handles so much that I removed the handles from several gouges. These cost me about $10-15 each. What I really like is that I can reverse the blade to protect it for travel. My wooden plugs are easily removed (held in with O-rings) so if a blade drops into the handle I can easily remove it.

How is the weight on yours? I tie easliy, so I would be afraid that it might be too heavy. Looks good though, and you are the one that it needs to fit.

Peter Blair
06-17-2013, 9:02 AM
Looks good Bill. Thanks for posting it.
I have a suggestion for you to consider.
If the aluminum is thick enough I would use 'grub' screws rather than the one you chose.
I find anything protruding near the cutter is bothersome to me.

Bill Summerlin
06-24-2013, 7:13 PM
Haven't used it with a tool in it yet, trying to decide on an unhandled tool, it is weighty, but hope that makes it more stable.