PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking TV Show in Australia

Steve Hayles
06-16-2013, 6:30 PM
Hi all,

I am about to start filming a Woodworking Show for TV in OZ, which will also be able to be viewed over the internet.
More details when I know date to air information for those interested.

My question is when watching similar shows in the U.S. do you prefer to see a project completed in one episode of the show or would you prefer a project to be spread out over several shows thus giving more information and details of the build.

Interested in your thoughts.

Cheers

Steve

Dennis Ford
06-16-2013, 6:40 PM
I would prefer to see a finished product and limit the details to the more tricky parts. Tool setup info would be nice occasionally instead of just seeing the parts "run through" a machine. My experience level is such that I need inspiration more than step by step instructions.

Roy Harding
06-16-2013, 7:35 PM
It depends upon the project. Some projects are, in real life, a half to two day job - those would probably be fine in a single one hour show. Anything bigger may be better spread over multiple shows.

I like Dennis Ford's idea of machine set up details when executing less common tasks. I'd also welcome at least a mention of alternate methods of achieving results (not everybody has the same machines available to them).

Of course - a LOT depends upon your target audience. If you're aiming at beginner enthusiasts, then you're going to want to focus on more quickly and easily achieved projects. The more experienced the target audience, the more intricate your project, and the more time needed to explain it properly.

Good luck to you - I watch a fair bit of Australian television through the magic of the internet - I usually enjoy your versions of shows very much.

Edited to add: Although your question was addressed to the USA members of the forums, us Canadians tend to watch a fair bit of USA television as well.

Steve Hayles
06-16-2013, 7:50 PM
It depends upon the project. Some projects are, in real life, a half to two day job - those would probably be fine in a single one hour show. Anything bigger may be better spread over multiple shows.

I like Dennis Ford's idea of machine set up details when executing less common tasks. I'd also welcome at least a mention of alternate methods of achieving results (not everybody has the same machines available to them).

Of course - a LOT depends upon your target audience. If you're aiming at beginner enthusiasts, then you're going to want to focus on more quickly and easily achieved projects. The more experienced the target audience, the more intricate your project, and the more time needed to explain it properly.

Good luck to you - I watch a fair bit of Australian television through the magic of the internet - I usually enjoy your versions of shows very much.

Edited to add: Although your question was addressed to the USA members of the forums, us Canadians tend to watch a fair bit of USA television as well.

Thanks Roy and Dennis,

My target audience is intermediate and above. I think there are enough shows dealing with the basics.
That is not to say beginners won't be able to work along.

I like the ideas of showing various ways to reach an objective as you say not all have the same equipment so i'll try and give alternatives when possible.

Projects in mind would take me several days to complete so not looking at weekend wonders.

First one is a side table and dovetailed draw with cock beading fitted onto Cabriole Legs with wings.

Cheers

Steve

Brian Kent
06-16-2013, 8:30 PM
I would have interest in a project that took 3 to 5 episodes, if each episode taught me a significant and/or fun technique. One on framing furniture, one on combining plywood with solid wood, another on dovetailing drawers, another on doors and hinges, another on final shaping and sanding, and another on a couple of finishing techniques. That would keep me coming back for a short series.

ray hampton
06-16-2013, 8:42 PM
If I could record every show , then either method will work

Steve Hayles
06-16-2013, 11:44 PM
I would have interest in a project that took 3 to 5 episodes, if each episode taught me a significant and/or fun technique. One on framing furniture, one on combining plywood with solid wood, another on dovetailing drawers, another on doors and hinges, another on final shaping and sanding, and another on a couple of finishing techniques. That would keep me coming back for a short series.

I Brian,
Thanks that is pretty much the sort of thing I was intending.

Cheers

Steve

John McClanahan
06-17-2013, 8:09 AM
Do it like Norm did it. Have good audio and make some sawdust.

John

Steve Hayles
06-18-2013, 2:23 AM
Do it like Norm did it. Have good audio and make some sawdust.

John

I can do that

"More Planing...Less complaining"

Cheers

Steve

Charles Lent
06-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Now you've got me excited. I can't wait to see the show and I agree with all of the comments so far.

Charley

Andrew Pitonyak
06-18-2013, 2:15 PM
There is a video series that was just released that claims to show much more detail than others.

Do you consider the Woodsmith Shop to be basic or intermediate, because they get much done quickly.

I have never seen any video where they showed them sneaking up on a cut to get it right. If you have done it before, perhaps you don't need to see it done again.

My take is that you pick your target (intermediate), and set a specific level of detail that you choose. Then, for the first few episodes, film extra material that you make available and show more detail. Then, you can track to see how many hits you get on the "more detail" videos that shows specific things such as sneaking up on cuts, making sure the blade is perpendicular to the table, verifying that you a square cut so you don't need to adjust your miter-gage, and similar. If the more detailed videos are not popular, then drop them. If they are a huge hit, then roll some of them into the standard video and perhaps use two episodes. You can even offer the more detailed videos as a for-sale DVD collection I suppose.

Gabe Shackle
06-18-2013, 2:35 PM
I think the combination of web videos with a television broadcast is something that could really lead to some more interesting and thorough ways to show the methods used. One thing I wish more (if any) of the current woodworking shows on TV would do is provide additional footage on the web site from the TV episode. For example, on the TV broadcast version you can gloss over the more repetitive or time intensive items, but then keep that footage available online for people to be able to focus in on. Let's say a project has a row of 12 dovetails to cut, the broadcast version can just show one of those being cut and then jump cut to the remaining dovetails being done and move on. Then, online, you can have the rest of the footage where you actually cut out the remaining dovetails available for those who want to watch more on the techniques for that particular part of the project. There's definitely potential for the two methods of content delivery to compliment each other rather than just have a duplicate of the TV broadcast available online.

Gary Muto
06-19-2013, 6:23 PM

I agree with Brian. Spend more time discussing set-up, material selection, design consideration. save time by not showing close up of a table saw cutting wood.

Best of Luck!

Gary Crompton
06-20-2013, 7:25 PM
I agree with Gabe, that would also provide detail for the beginning levels as well. That way you would reach a bigger audience. Keep us posted it sounds like a great start, and thanks for asking for input!