PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: Hot dog sizes for kids?

Brian Elfert
06-16-2013, 1:53 PM
This is kinda off the wall and way off topic. What size and type of hot dogs would kids from maybe 8 years to 12 years old eat? I'm not a parent and don't have expertise in this area.

I'm doing concessions for an event where it will be a lot of adult males mixed in with some younger kids in families. We are selling large 1/5th lb dogs for adults, but we are thinking they are too big for kids. We're thinking of doing 1/8th lb size hot dogs for the kids for half the price. Is the 1/8th lb going to be too big for younger kids? Are parents going to care if we just get the cheapo mystery meat hot dogs, or should we go for something better? One thought would be to get Jennie-O turkey hot dogs because they come in large packages and are not real expensive.

Your thoughts/opinions appreciated.

David Weaver
06-16-2013, 2:07 PM
No opinion on the quality of the dogs, but the average 10 year old can put down a 1/5th pound hot dog no problem.

tim morris
06-16-2013, 2:09 PM
My 9 YO would put two of those away on a good day and he's a bean pole. :D

Brian Libby
06-16-2013, 2:15 PM
"One dog fits all" Most kids will out eat adults!

Doug W Swanson
06-16-2013, 2:29 PM
Are you a member of Costco? They have kosher all-beef hot dogs that are excellent. I believe they come in two sizes: a 1/4 lb version that they serve in the food court and a standard size.

BTW: both of my kids will eat at least one standard size hot dog (and sometimes two or three).

ray hampton
06-16-2013, 2:53 PM
Are you a member of Costco? They have kosher all-beef hot dogs that are excellent. I believe they come in two sizes: a 1/4 lb version that they serve in the food court and a standard size.

BTW: both of my kids will eat at least one standard size hot dog (and sometimes two or three).

all - beef are difficult to find since turkey come into demand

Brian Elfert
06-16-2013, 2:58 PM
I also do concessions locally once a month in the summer and fall. I only sell the 1/8th lb hot dogs for those events and I get Ballpark all beef from Sam's Club for that. I occasionally see parts of hot dogs in the trash so the kids don't even always eat a full 1/8th lb hot dog. The kids who aren't finishing the hot dogs are probably under 8 years old. There will be some kids under 8 at this other event, but probably more older kids. It will be HOT at this event probably 100+ by lunch so that kills the appetite.

I have had the Costco hot dogs and they are really good. I don't know that I want to go to 1/4 lb dogs. I didn't see smaller ones so I need to look again.