PDA

View Full Version : LED for miter saw?

Raymond Fries
06-16-2013, 11:31 AM
I want to purchase a Dewalt 716 miter saw. I read another thread here says many do not use the lasers because other methods are more accurate. Does anyone here have experience with the LED (DWS7085). Are they accurate for precise cuts or are traditional measuring methods still the most accurate?

Any recommecdations based on your experience?

Thanks

Bill White
06-16-2013, 11:32 AM
I only use lights for reference. The old tape/ruler gets the accuracy award in my shop.
Bill

guy knight
06-16-2013, 11:38 AM
i bought a dewalt and added the light i use it all day and love it crisp clear exact line no fuzzy laser and dead on and the plus side is it lights up the work area for the old eyes

Wade Lippman
06-16-2013, 3:50 PM
I had the Dewalt and fount it to be useless; though it wa 6 years ago and I can'tremember theproblem. The kapex laser is wonderful; though you still can't rely on it to be within a 64th if that is necessary.

Peter Quinn
06-16-2013, 8:11 PM
I love the laser on my makita for corse adjustments, do not use it for high accuracy work. Maybe its the laser's kerf, maybe its my own eyes getting older, I do better shutting the light off and cutting to a crisp pencil line or a scribe line. If I require repeatable accuracy I set up a stop and cut to that, I'm never cutting multiples to eye laser or no. Where the laser shines for me is setting the saw to a line that forms an angle which is unknown to me. For instance yesterday I was making a miter cut on a roof bracket, the angle was formed by measuring 1 1/2" in from a face and 2 1/2" up from the corresponding corner, and connecting the lines. I could have pulled the angle from the drawing, or figured it out with a bevel gauge, but no need. I just drew it on the stock using the basic numbers I had, turned on the laser, swung the miter to match my pencil line angle. For that alone the laser is worth it to me. THen I shut off the laser and set the saw precisely to the scribe line, set a stop, and cut a few of those. For more coarse construction I have cut to the laser line, and its quick, just never seems as accurate to me as starting the saw blade and sneaking up to the line.