PDA

View Full Version : Oil-based paint w/ soap/water clean-up?

Phil Thien
06-16-2013, 12:21 AM
As I've been looking-around at various paints, I came across Benjamin Moore Advance, which they say is a waterborne alkyd (oil-based) paint featuring low VOC's and soap/water clean-up.

Here is a link to the product:
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/paint-products/advance-waterborne-interior-alkyd-paint?lang=en_US&role=H#advs=0&tab=2

So is this the same as "water-based polyurethane?" Little tiny droplets of water that carry oil-based resins that are already hardened but there is a softener which makes them somehow coalesce when the carriers evaporate?

Has anyone used this stuff? It interests me as my daughter is looking at houses, and there is a real chance I will be painting kitchen cabinets in the near future.

Scott Holmes
06-16-2013, 12:32 AM
It doesn't actually say it's a water-borne oil based finish; it says it's a water-borne alkyd finish not a water-borne alkyd resin / oil based varnish.

Sounds like it may be a good product...

Phil Thien
06-16-2013, 10:09 AM
It doesn't actually say it's a water-borne oil based finish; it says it's a water-borne alkyd finish not a water-borne alkyd resin / oil based varnish.

Sounds like it may be a good product...

I see what you're saying. I'm sorta accustomed to alkyds being oil-based finishes.

The reviews look pretty positive. When it comes time to paint a set of kitchen cabinets I'm going to try a sample of it and see how it works.