PDA

View Full Version : Jobsite TS recommendstions...

Michael Dunn
06-15-2013, 7:39 PM
I think I've come to the point to where I need a jobsite TS. Something portable with a built in stand that isn't obscenely heavy.

My friend does 100% site work and recommended either the Rigid for $499.99 or the Bosch for $549.99.

Dust collection is hugely important. I realize this is most likely an after thought on most of these saws. I'll modify it as needed. 24" rip capacity would be great.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

John M Wilson
06-15-2013, 8:36 PM
I have the Bosch on the stand, with most of the accessories. It does a nice job for me, as I must put my toys away when I am done playing, so that cars can again occupy my workshop.

Dust collection relies on a shroud underneath the blade. When sawing, I use a shopvac/DustDeputy combination. Dust collection is adequate, but not great. Most of the material that drops downward is collected, but the collection above the blade is nothing to write home about. Using a ZCI makes this worse.

Although dust collection is not top of the line, the Bosch gravity rise stand is a work of art. I liked it so much, I bought the similar one for my miter saw. It stores compactly, folds up with zero complication, and is surprisingly stable when in sawing position.

I'll let other more experienced woodworkers chime in on the fine points, but for me, this saw fits my needs to a tee.

Michael Dunn
06-15-2013, 8:54 PM
I have the Bosch on the stand, with most of the accessories. It does a nice job for me, as I must put my toys away when I am done playing, so that cars can again occupy my workshop.

Dust collection relies on a shroud underneath the blade. When sawing, I use a shopvac/DustDeputy combination. Dust collection is adequate, but not great. Most of the material that drops downward is collected, but the collection above the blade is nothing to write home about. Using a ZCI makes this worse.

Although dust collection is not top of the line, the Bosch gravity rise stand is a work of art. I liked it so much, I bought the similar one for my miter saw. It stores compactly, folds up with zero complication, and is surprisingly stable when in sawing position.

I'll let other more experienced woodworkers chime in on the fine points, but for me, this saw fits my needs to a tee.

Is the stand included with the Bosch?

Michael Dunn
06-15-2013, 9:01 PM
How about the Jet jobsite TS? Any positive experience with that unit?

John M Wilson
06-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Is the stand included with the Bosch?

I've seen it priced both ways -- the price on Amazon - $569 (http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-4100-09-10-Inch-Worksite-Gravity-Rise/dp/B000S5S5CW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371352201&sr=8-1&keywords=bosch+table+saw) - includes the stand.

scott spencer
06-16-2013, 7:27 AM
The Bosch 4100, Ridgid 4510, and DW744 seem to always top the comparison tests and the recommendations.

Von Bickley
06-16-2013, 8:54 AM
Around this part of the country, it is Bosch or Dewalt........

Rich Engelhardt
06-16-2013, 9:19 AM
A whole lot depends on the type of work you do onsite. I replaced my jobsite saw with a track saw (Festool TS55EQ) & a 10" CMS & a router table. I've only run into one instance with a floor install where I had to rip some hardwood flooring that I couldn't handle onsite. Technically, I could have used the router table to trim off the excess flooring - but - since I wasn't under a time constraint, I just took the pieces home and ripped them. If dust control is a prime requirement, you might want to give some serious thought to a track saw. Even the entry level Grizzly has better DC than a jobsite table saw.

Mike Goetzke
06-16-2013, 9:23 AM
Not too long ago I bought a Bosch GTS1031 and the fold up stand. After using a track saw system for many years I finally sold my Uni but still wanted a TS for some operations. I found this saw recommended by someone here. So far it has worked out great. Best for my needs (except for plenty of power and clean cuts) is it is it is just over 50#, excellent DC, and the frame is built so that it can easily be stored even on edge. Only thing I don't like is it doesn't have soft start - but no biggie.

Mike

Raymond Fries
06-16-2013, 12:02 PM
I cannot speak for other brands but I used to have a Dewalt 744 and it was a nice saw. It was very accurate for my needs. The other names mentioned are solid competitiors.

Good Luck in your search.

Nick Christensen
06-16-2013, 1:07 PM
I have used both saws quite a bit. The field school at the college I went to had two of the Bosch saws and we beat the crap out of them. I started my business with a Rigid jobsite saw. I beat the crap out of it for over a year ripping thick hardwoods, and the like. Then gave it to my father in law who uses it to build his strip canoes, and it is still going strong. Did I mention that I bought it at a pawn shop for $200 complete with stand? The main differences I found were the fences, stands, and table extension mechanisms. The Rigid in my opinion is the superior fence. But having said that the fence on the Bosch is excellent as well, but the Ridgid fence locks down better, is easier for fine adjustments (it has a little wheel that you can turn to make fine adjustments) the scale is much easier to read. It is like a tape measure that expands with the extensions, on the Bosch you use one scale for it expanded and another when it is not. As far as stands go the Bosch gravity rise stand is one of the best inventions ever. If you are going to be moving the saw much this is the clear winner. In the category of the extension mechanisms I liked the Rigid better, if I remember right it was just one lever and boom it was done. I think the Bosch's had two things that you had to do, but it has been a long time. Another plus is that the Rigid has a lifetime warranty, the Bosch has has a 5 yr. All in all you really couldn't go wrong with either saw they are both excellent. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Michael Dunn
06-16-2013, 2:56 PM
A whole lot depends on the type of work you do onsite. I replaced my jobsite saw with a track saw (Festool TS55EQ) & a 10" CMS & a router table. I've only run into one instance with a floor install where I had to rip some hardwood flooring that I couldn't handle onsite. Technically, I could have used the router table to trim off the excess flooring - but - since I wasn't under a time constraint, I just took the pieces home and ripped them. If dust control is a prime requirement, you might want to give some serious thought to a track saw. Even the entry level Grizzly has better DC than a jobsite table saw.

I actually own the TS-75 w/the 32", 55", and 75" rails, alone with the parallel guide w/extension and host of other rail accessories. For cutting large panels for cabinet sides, or large shelves the TS75 is my #1 choice. However, what about ripping 1-1/2" or 2" strips on site for face frames? Festool should come out with a way to drop a TS55 or 75 into an MFT for a pseudo jobsite TS. That would be wicked. DC is supremely important to me. Hence my obsession w/Festool.

I have some face frames I'll need to make. I suppose I can use the TS75 to cut the large side pieces and large shelves and rip face frames in my shop and then cut them to length on site with the MS.

I want to be fully functional on site though. What do you guys do for ripping if you do NOT have a job site table saw?

Michael Dunn
06-16-2013, 2:59 PM

Also, please share what type of work you're doing and what you're work flow is like w/o the jobsite saw now that you use the Festool TS55EQ. Particularly in instances where you don't have enough time to rip stuff at the shop.

Thanx!!!

Michael Dunn
06-16-2013, 3:22 PM
What do you guys think of this Rosseau setup? It ain't cheap, but it sure seams productive and useful...

They also have the outfeed support as well. It works with the Bosch 4100-09.

Mac McQuinn
06-16-2013, 3:50 PM
While a track saw will put out less dust than the Bosch 4100, they're certainly not dust free by any means and will IMO require a respirator when using, at least inside w/o ventilation. The Bosch 4100 site saw can be improved considerably as far as dust control goes and will be more flexible to use overall. That said, any direct drive site saw will be noisy, keep this in mind when using in areas with noise ordinances. I cut my last board w/ power a year ago due to this and out of respect for my neighbors. IMO, nothing destroys property values quicker than constant noise in your neighborhood.
Mac

Paul Incognito
06-16-2013, 6:46 PM
Michael,
I had an old 8" Makita with the Rouseau fence. It's a solid performer. The downsides are that it makes for a big unit and it's kind of heavy. In my opinion, it's not as portable as the other saws talked about here. I replaced the Makita/Rouseau after about 10 years of good service with the DeWalt 745 and haven't looked back. While it doesn't have the rip capacity of the bigger saws, it does the job for me. I've been using one on site for 5-7 years now with a shop built stand and it's done everything I've asked of it.
Hope this helps,
Paul

Michael Dunn
06-16-2013, 7:32 PM
IMO, nothing destroys property values quicker than constant noise in your neighborhood.
Mac

How about a meth lab? I hear those are pretty bad too... For property values.

Lol!!!

Rich Engelhardt
06-17-2013, 6:38 AM
Also, please share what type of work you're doing and what you're work flow is like w/o the jobsite saw now that you use the Festool TS55EQ. Particularly in instances where you don't have enough time to rip stuff at the shop.Type of work = just about anything that needs done.(I do house rehabs) I get around ripping mostly by planning what I need for each job & sticking to some "standards".
On older houses for instance, where I'm replacing doors w/new prehung doors, I either order the jambs larger if I can. If I need to pull a stock door, I make sure I have an ample supply of pre-ripped jamb extensions. Same for windows & window trim.
There's a lot more - but -I'm really pressed for time right now. I'll have to get back to this later.

Michael Dunn
06-25-2013, 7:16 PM
Can anyone confirm if the Rosseau stands will fit the Bosch 4100? The item description says "fits Bosch 4000". Does that include the 4100-09?

keith micinski
06-25-2013, 10:21 PM
I just picked up a brand new in box Dewalt 744 for 300 off of Craigslist and I couldn't be happier. This is the second one I have owned and they have both been great. The fence is amazing, the power is more then enough and if you put a good blade on it, it will do pretty good work. The stand is just fine, and I often wonder if the wheels and all of the gravity rise stand stuff is even needed.

phil harold
06-26-2013, 12:06 AM
What do you guys think of this Rosseau setup? It ain't cheap, but it sure seams productive and useful...

They also have the outfeed support as well. It works with the Bosch 4100-09.

I had mine with a makita I ran it for 15 years of construction then loaned it to my nephew,
I may never get it back but thats ok.
he will get quite a few more years out of it
loved the fence!

Andy Pratt
06-26-2013, 5:40 PM
Your friend was right on: rigid and bosch make the two best. I was split over which one to get until I found out the bosch doesn't have a blade height lock, that tipped me toward the rigid. I have no complaints with the rigid and if you submit their paperwork exactly as they say it does have genuine lifetime repair.