PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel or Porcelain grill?

Wade Lippman
06-15-2013, 7:04 PM
My weber gas grill works fine, but the cooktop (grate, or whatever it is called) is worn out. Stainless is more expensive, though I expect it lasts forever; but which works better?

Biff Johnson
06-15-2013, 7:20 PM
Stainless all the way, especially if you take care of your grill. I've had both and the porcelain tends to crack and chip with moderate use.

However, I've pretty much forsaken the grill for a griddle for most bbq'ing . Much easier to clean, hotspots and charring are minimized.

Lee Schierer
06-15-2013, 8:58 PM
Stainless will rust too due to the heat. Before and after each use wipe it down with Canola or Peanut oil. This is what is recommended by Char Broil for their stainless Infra Red grills which are stainless.

Bill ThompsonNM
06-15-2013, 9:35 PM
Weber makes cast iron replacements for most of their grills also. I went with stainless but seriously considered the cast iron.

Chris Damm
06-16-2013, 7:24 AM
I have 2 Weber grills that I have rebuilt more than once. I have used both stainless and porcelain parts (flavoriser bars and grates). The stainless do last longer but not enough to justify the price difference!

Rod Sheridan
06-16-2013, 3:19 PM
Hi, it must be the grade of stainless steel.

I've owned a Napoleon for 14 years now, it has the "S: shaped stainless wire grills, they are in new condition after all that use.........Rod

Bruce Page
06-16-2013, 4:20 PM
I have stainless in my Webber. I wouldn't want anything else.

ray hampton
06-16-2013, 5:28 PM
Hi, it must be the grade of stainless steel.

I've owned a Napoleon for 14 years now, it has the "S: shaped stainless wire grills, they are in new condition after all that use.........Rod

some grade of stainless are magnetic, will everybody test their grill and compare the test

Larry Frank
06-16-2013, 8:06 PM
I have had Weber grills for years and grill 4-5 times a week. I have the cast iron ones and Love them. I have to admit that I am not in the clean grill club. I wire brush the cast iron off before each use. Maybe once a year, I use the pressure washer and take the grates out and blast them clean. I also clean the "flavorizer bars" about once a month.

I find that the cast iron because it is more massive gives better sear marks than the other types.

Does it really make any difference to the meat.....no....it is just what you like the best.

John Hays
06-16-2013, 10:50 PM
I used cast iron grates for years and was quite happy with them... then we moved to the beach and switched to porcelain (due to the heat and salt air). Can't say I regret that decision. So, I guess it depends on where you live.