PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive tongue and groove options?

David Kuzdrall
06-15-2013, 11:10 AM
I would like to utilize a small tongue and groove for the boards on the back of my dressers. I currently use ship lap boards that I dado on the table saw but I would prefer to go with t&g using hand tools.

I see that lee valley has a fantastic plough plane with small t&g cutters but I don't want to spend that kind of money for this tool.

The thickness I typically make the back is 3/8 - 1/2"...thoughts??

Thx

David Weaver
06-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Stanley 49. That's your lowest cost option. Find a decent one, use it, sell it when you're done. They work a treat, and you should be able to find one for less than $100 looking around for a bit. There are the sucker dealer types on ebay shooting for $150-$200, but a plane would have to be unused with original box and literature in undamaged condition to bring that kind of cake.

I paid $50 for mine a couple of years ago - on ebay.

Ryan Baker
06-15-2013, 6:45 PM
I agree a Stanley 49 would be nice, but they don't seem to pop up all that often any more (at least that I have seen).

Would you consider making your own pair of planes? T&G planes are actually pretty easy to make if you buy some cutters somewhere. You also could look for some vintage wooden planes, but those often need work to get them into usable shape.

Tony Shea
06-15-2013, 8:41 PM
I would seriously think about saving up and getting the LV version. I don't know if you'll be able to find something a lot cheaper that will produce acceptable results. You will need to be very patient in your search and even more patient in setting up your used find to produce reasonable results.

Steve Hayles
06-15-2013, 8:59 PM
I've just started using a Stanley 45 for the same job, after having it lying around the shed for eons got of my backside and learnt how to use it and think it is fantastic.

Cheers

Steve

Jack Curtis
06-15-2013, 9:33 PM
A good marking knife and chisels can do this job, thus avoiding spending anything if this is a one time job.

Scott T Smith
06-15-2013, 11:35 PM
David, you might want to check with Ed Lebedkin above The Woodwright's School in Pittsboro. He often has some great deals on some old wooden moulding planes, and may have a tongue and groove model.

Maurice Ungaro
06-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Scott beat me to the punch! Give Ed a call to see what he has in stock. Often, he can piece something together from spare parts.

Jim Koepke
06-16-2013, 11:34 AM
My Stanley 45 gets the call for this kind of work.

Takes a little getting used to, but once one gets the hang of the 45 it is quick work.

It is also able to do a lot more than a single chore.

jtk

Chris Hachet
06-16-2013, 11:39 AM
A good marking knife and chisels can do this job, thus avoiding spending anything if this is a one time job.

I have done it this way and it works...but it is time consuming.

Derek Cohen
06-16-2013, 2:22 PM

I have done it this way and it works...but it is time consuming.

Plus it only works on straight-grained timber.

I have both the LN #49 and the accessory kit for the LV Small Plow. The LN is a dedicated plane for tongue and grooving, and it is the best available. While pricy compared to a Stanley or a vintage woodie, it is an investment if you plan to make lots of such joints in the future. It is also cheaper than the LV. It is best to think of the LV as a system tool. It is the most costly plane of all, especially when you start to add in all the optional extras. If you already have a Small Plow - which is the best grooving plane made today - getting the T&G blades is a no-brainer. They work very well.

The cheapest option is a 1/4" plough plane. A vintage woodie will do. You can use it for both tongues and grooves - just plane away the waste in small sections. This just takes more time but you can save money that way. If you are so inclined, make your own.

Regards from Perth

Derek

William Adams
06-16-2013, 2:26 PM
Keep an eye out for a Stanley 12-250?

Kees Heiden
06-16-2013, 2:28 PM
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll266/Kees2351/plane/Ary/foto95_zpscb275262.jpg

250 years old and only 25 euro. You just have to push your luck some days. :)

David Kuzdrall
06-16-2013, 2:32 PM
Now that is what I am talking about! Heck, I even happen to have 25 euros in my pocket right now!

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll266/Kees2351/plane/Ary/foto95_zpscb275262.jpg

250 years old and only 25 euro. You just have to push your luck some days. :)

David Kuzdrall
06-16-2013, 2:34 PM
Thanks for all the good replies on this topic. You all have given me quite s few things to consider...making a pair would be fun but I hardly have enough time to make furniture let alone tools.

so many options...I will update this thread as I make a decision.

thx

Jack Curtis
06-16-2013, 7:29 PM
Yeah, I've bought a set of T&G woodies, and they work fine, as long as you happen to have the correct wood thickness for the planes. If not, sol, you'll need another set, and another, and....

David Weaver
06-16-2013, 8:07 PM
Thanks for all the good replies on this topic. You all have given me quite s few things to consider...making a pair would be fun but I hardly have enough time to make furniture let alone tools.

so many options...I will update this thread as I make a decision.

thx

I think a week or two of watching ebay for a 49 is probably the sensible move. You know you can get your money back, the outlay won't be that much.

Of course, now that it's a topic, there might be other people looking for them.

The stanley design (as well as the LN) do also give you a little more room than max width would suggest. As long as you keep account of what the front of the boards are, you can just allow the groove to be off center and trim any uncut amount on the fat side with a rank set rabbet plane.

There are instances where stanley planes can be frustrating (out of square shoulder planes, etc), but a functioning #49 is a joy to use, and it's pretty quick. And it'll hurt your wallet a little less if you decide to keep it.

Don Dorn
06-16-2013, 8:39 PM
Since I tend to use this joint a lot for the back of cabinets, I sprung for a LN 49. It's one the very few LN tools I own I admit that it was a great deal of cash outlay. I initially had a little buyers remorse due to it, but that went away the first time I used it for a project. It's dead square and I like the single blade which makes it a breeze to sharpen. I have a friend with a Stanley 48 and it also works well, but the locking tolerances are a bit tighter on the LN and since I use it so often, I felt the expense was justified in my case.

Jim R Edwards
06-16-2013, 9:09 PM
I have a LN 48 and love it. If that is more than you want to spend another alternative is a union 41 (I think that's the right number) anyway, unions are usually a cheaper alternative to Stanley.