PDA

View Full Version : How NOT to use a chainsaw to cut a bowl blank. IMO!

Jack Gaskins
06-14-2013, 9:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWss6K9NnR8 and pay attention to how loose the chain is. I am surprised this guy is still alive.

Rich Aldrich
06-14-2013, 9:35 PM
Yes. 1) He needs to have a better way to hold the piece. I normally take a few small wedges from prior trimmings to help steady the peice. Oh and I normally wear steel toes, chaps, a hard hat with ear muffs and a face shield. I want to make a saddle type of saw horse to hold peices like this.
2) he needs to learn either how to sharpen his chain or how to tell when to sharpen it.

Dennis Nagle
06-14-2013, 9:42 PM
That is scary to watch.

Bernie Weishapl
06-14-2013, 10:05 PM
An accident waiting to happen.

Reed Gray
06-14-2013, 10:26 PM
I have a friend who likes his chains that loose, and under load, they cut fine. That is one dull chain, and he is cutting from the wrong side, the blade side, and dogs should be up against the wood. I also cut a flat on the round side so it doesn't rock so much.

robo hippy

Curt Fuller
06-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Part two and three are pretty good too. Youtube is an amazing thing. Edward R Murrow said it best even before the days of internet.."Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."

For all the times he mentions the wood flying off or the piece coming loose while between centers I wonder why it never occurred to him to wear at least a pair of safety glasses not to mention a face shield.

Jason Roehl
06-15-2013, 11:19 AM
I have a friend who likes his chains that loose, and under load, they cut fine. That is one dull chain, and he is cutting from the wrong side, the blade side, and dogs should be up against the wood. I also cut a flat on the round side so it doesn't rock so much.

robo hippy

Your friend is not very smart. Loose chains are prone to being thrown off the bar, and concentrate wear on a few points of the bar, making the bar less safe as well. My saw has dogs on both sides of the bar--doesn't matter much which side one cuts on. The way the guy in the video is doing it puts the wood between his feet and between him and the saw--I'd do it that way, too, in most circumstances.

John Altberg
06-15-2013, 11:41 AM
I watched 1 minute of part two. "turning between centers is more dangerous than using a chuck, because it is barely on there" and the roughing of the bowl with a roughing gouge were enough for me to hit the stop button. Curt, I love your Murrow quote. It is even more acute today, as any joker with video and a web connection can disseminate their bad info. instantly!

jwjerry w kowalski
06-15-2013, 6:18 PM
Wow, the chains too loose, the wood is rocking, he touches the chain to a rock while he's cutting, no ear or eye protection and instead of putting the wood on the stump with the flat side down and tacking a paper template to it so he can cut it safely he does it the hard way. An accident waiting to happen, you tube has some real doozies at times.

John Lifer
06-15-2013, 7:42 PM
Loose chain is one thing, will only come off the sprocket. Dull chain is worse. But not securing your work is more dangerous than either of the above. And I didn't look and see no eye protection, with a chainsaw, that is a MUST. Yeah, foot or leg injury waiting to happen.

Bob Bergstrom
06-15-2013, 8:31 PM
I think he shold watch a "YouTube on sharpening also. That chain is mighty dull. Couldn't watch more than the first video.

Scott Haddix
06-15-2013, 10:34 PM
I haven't watched the video myself, and don't know how old/new it is. But, I read this thread hoping somebody has provided this guy a lot of feedback on YouTube about all the things he is doing wrong, all the dangers involved, and pointed him in the right direction before he truly does have an accident. If you didn't see response posts on YouTube trying to save this guy from himself, I hope you made a point of posting one. He may just be ignorant, rather than stupid and foolhardy.

David Weaver
06-15-2013, 10:50 PM
My dad cut 10 cords a year for a couple of decades leaving his chains only a step tighter than that. I don't know why he liked to run his saws like that, I think he thought he was taking it easy on the saws. He wore two bars out doing that, too, an old mccullough sprocket tip bar that should've lasted halfway to forever.

( we did lose a relative to a kickback, not that it has anything to do with that slack chain, but you'd figure all the way around that'd get some folks to look at a safety guide or two - great uncle of mine http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=76512719, took a kickback in the woods that was ultimately terminal. Woman at work lost her brother to a kickback, too, he was cutting something out of position and took a kickback under his jawline- bled out. Not going to post a link to the second story because it's not my business to post news stories about others' relatives. It's easy to think about safety before the saw is running. It won't be quite so easy to have a sane thought about what to do next if it gets you).

Gary Herrmann
06-16-2013, 12:50 AM
My chainsaw is the scariest tool I own. The guy in the video is going to wind up on the Darwin awards.

Frank Pearsall
06-16-2013, 9:20 AM
Here's a Darwin Award potential winner...264581

Reed Gray
06-16-2013, 1:13 PM
My buddy that runs the slack chain cuts fire wood and falls trees, among other things. He has done so for years. He does know what he is doing. Some people do have the chains too tight, which is also bad. I don't think you want it to 'snap' back when you pull it away from the bar with your fingers. It doesn't come off the bar during use. I do prefer mine to be tighter than the one in the clip.

robo hippy

Curt Fuller
06-16-2013, 1:30 PM
Here's a Darwin Award potential winner...264581
I think that's actually one of the instructional photos that comes with the Acme Do-it-Yourself Vasectomy kit.;)

Jeff Nicol
06-17-2013, 8:54 PM
For all the safety equipment, instructions, recomendations, pleading from spouses and any number of things that 10's of thousands of guys like this one have been told or shown, they will do what they do until it is too late. Ignorance is a curse but never an excuse (Unless you are a politician!) and the saying "Learning the hard way" is most times the only way to educate many hard headed folks. It is made obvious that he thinks that he is doing things in a wonderful manner if he thought that he should post a video on YouTube for the whole world to see, or like so many who post foolish things, they are just looking for their 15seconds of fame!

I guess God made knuckleheads to make the rest of us look good!

Safety is a learned thing that becomes habit after the blood stops dripping on the floor,

Jeff

Bret Schaffner
06-23-2013, 1:33 PM
well not safety 1st :eek:

Graham Sugar
06-25-2013, 6:20 AM
Oh So Glad that this guy is one of yours.......hope he never decides to visit OZ.......