PDA

View Full Version : Minimax Planer Adjustment...

Derek Arita
06-14-2013, 6:42 PM
I have a 12" FS30 Smart and need to adjust the planer table. The table is slightly low on one side, but I'm not sure how to adjust it. I was told by Customer Service, that the cutter head is not adjustable, but they haven't been able to tell me how to adjust the table. My manual doesn't tell me how to do it either. I was hoping someone here has done the adjustment and can help me out. I started a thread on the MM forum, but no replies yet.

Chris Fournier
06-14-2013, 9:12 PM
It's been awhile since I had the same machine but here is my recollection. The hinge side is shimmed and you should leave it alone. You will find bolts that have nuts on them on the other side. Get two wrenches that fit the nut and bolt. Hold the bolt firmly and loosen the nut. Now you can adjust the bolt and consequently the table height. It will take a fraction of a turn and don't think that you are done until you tighten down the table with the lever. The act of tightening the fasteners will change the height of the table so go slowly and check your results. It may take a few iterations but you'll get it!

Sorry, planer not jointer table...

I test this with a dial gauge but you can machine wood at both sides - dense wood and mic or caliper it. I'd agree that .005" is acceptable. If not you will have to shim. Again make sure that you are locking the table for critical cuts!

Rick Lizek
06-14-2013, 10:09 PM
So much missing info! How much is it off and how did you measure it...feeler gauge or indicator? The correct way to measure is off the head not from planer stock from each side of the machine. Shimming from under table or the base of of the post lift would be the way. Blades set on a taper can be misleading. Pretty simple procedure if you give the right info. I recall that model to have the single post under the table for height adjustment. If it doesn't have adjustment screws it would require shimming to tweak the table. Should be fairly simple but seeing as you can't say how much it's off is why I question how you are determining it is off. .005" from side to side would be acceptable.