PDA

View Full Version : Why a "reverse"?

John Miliunas
05-11-2003, 12:10 AM
OK, so my ignorance is floating to the top, but I just can't figure this one out. Router bits, molder cutters and shaper cutters are obviously designed and built to cut in one direction. Why then, do most shapers have a "reverse" on them? Even on a drill, where the bits are cut for one direction, I can understand the "reverse" to help back out of a hole, but why on a shaper? I'm stumped. HELP!:confused: :cool:

David Eisan
05-11-2003, 2:54 AM
Easy,

With a router bit, there is only one way you can install it, with a shaper cutter, you can install it "upside down" requiring you to run the shaper in reverse.

Rather than running your panel on "top" of a panel bit and feeding right to left, some people like to power feed left to right with the material "under" the bit and the shaper in reverse.

David.

John Miliunas
05-11-2003, 9:44 AM
Thanks David! You see there, it WAS a pretty ignorant question with a very simple answer. Like you referenced, I guess I was too much in the "router mode" to think of flipping the cutter. Makes sense. :cool:

Tony Pearson
05-15-2003, 10:53 PM
This brings to mind a very important safety issue. We all become acustomed to working in one direction with routers....and in most cases shapers. However, when using a shaper with reverse. Be Sure and remember to reverse the feed direction A shaper throws a very mean punch.

:eek:

Tony

Rob Russell
05-16-2003, 9:22 AM
Sorry Tony,

You generally don't reverse the feed on a shaper. The point of reversing a shaper is, indeed, so you can flip a shaper cutter upside down and trap the piece between the cutter and table. Most shops would also run the shaper in what's called a "climb cut" where the cutter rotation is in the same direction as the feed.

This is done in conjuction with a power feeder that keeps the stock from flying away and should never by tried by hand.

There are 2 big advantages to climb-cutting a piece and trapping something like a raised panel between the cutter and table.

1) Climb-cutting gives a better finish with less tearout.
2) Trapping the piece gives a dead even tongue for raised panels and eliminates any uneven spots in the panel edge.

Rob

Tony Pearson
05-16-2003, 9:47 PM
Rob, thanks for your response. I stand erectly corrected Thanks for the "climb cut description" I think you will agree with me on one issue......THINK SAFETY FIRST

Thanks again, Tony

Rob Russell
05-17-2003, 10:48 PM
Tony,

You're dead on about safety and shapers. They're probably the most dangerous machine in the shop if you don't treat them with the respect they're due. There are really 3 big reasons that power feeders are used so widely on shapers.

1) Better cut - the stock feed rate and pressure of the piece against the shaper fence and table are consistent through the whole work piece.
2) Productivity - you can be grabbing the next piece as the current piece is being fed through/milled.
3) Safety - the shaper covers the cutter and keeps hands away from the cutter area.

To put things in perspective when it comes to the amount of momentum in a large cutter - I measured one of my cutter heads. It's a rebate cutterhead for milling rabbets on stock. It's about 6" in diameter, 2" tall and weighs 13-14 pounds. When that thing is spinning at 7500 rpm (with a high HP motor behind it) - the energy sorta doesn't compare to a saw blade. Think about hitting start with that on a machine and you really double and triple check things from a safety perspective.

I did, however, think of an occasion when you might reverse the rotational direction and feed "backwards" and that's when freehanding a piece. An example of this is if you had a cathedral raised panel that you were milling. The curved top profile is typically milled by clamping the workpiece into a big jig with handles and the piece is then hand-shaped. The jig allows you to keep the workpiece under control and keep your hands well away from the cutter head.

Rob