PDA

View Full Version : 3d Engraving Trotec or ULS?

Jason Hilton
06-14-2013, 4:19 PM
Does the Trotec driver have a 3d etching mode? How does it compare to the ULS 3d mode? I spent a good deal of time at the local maker space creating artwork and 3d engraving into wood. Now that the shop is closed I'm preparing to purchase my own machine, and I'm deciding between a Trotec Speedy 300 80w and a ULS PLS 6.150D 75w. The main decision factor after price is the 3d ability. I'm leaning toward the Trotec because of the significant cost savings (for more power), but I'm having difficulty finding any definitive answer on it's 3d capability.

Any help would be appreciated!

-Jason

Guy Hilliard
06-14-2013, 9:44 PM
Job Control 10 (I'm not sure about earlier versions) has a process mode of "Relief" that is the equivalent to the ULS 3D mode.
I have only used it once so far with a sample 3D engraving but the results are impressive.

Mike Null
06-15-2013, 8:28 AM
I do not have JC 10 but the 9.4 version I have also has relief mode. Other than a lithophane I tried a few years back I can't say I've ever used relief mode.

This was done on 1/4" acrylic.

Jason Hilton
06-15-2013, 9:05 AM
I've never tried on acrylic, that's pretty cool! The kind of work I typically do is on wood, and looks like below. (this example isn't mine, it was done on a kern laser, but I also got similar results on a epilog and a ULS):

Mike Null
06-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Part if not all of that appears to be cut on a cnc machine. Could that be?

Lee DeRaud
06-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Part if not all of that appears to be cut on a cnc machine. Could that be?Nope, way too many sharp interior angles.

Mike Null
06-15-2013, 1:24 PM
What about the border cut which is angled?

Lee DeRaud
06-15-2013, 1:35 PM
What about the border cut which is angled?Normally, yes, I'd suspect a V-bit cut...but it's only angled on one side: can't do that with a V-bit. It's a demo file, gotta think it's been optimized to within an inch of its life.:cool:

Jason Hilton
06-15-2013, 3:08 PM
I laser engraved a similar file on an epilog 60w. It took 2 passes and a file adjustment on the second pass. The example above was done on a 150w kern.

Does anyone have other 3d relief examples from the Trotec?

Scott Shepherd
06-15-2013, 3:46 PM
One of the few I did was a lithophane also, posted here, at the bottom of the page. You can't tell from the photo, but it's 3D relief engraved very deep to get that "see through" photo when light shins on it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?196553-Laser-cut-Lithophanes/page2

Frédéric PARROT
06-15-2013, 5:24 PM
... The kind of work I typically do is on wood, and looks like below. (this example isn't mine, it was done on a kern laser, ...

Very nice example ! Do you know the name of this wood please ?

Jeff Woodcock
06-15-2013, 5:46 PM
Nope, way too many sharp interior angles.

If I'm not mistaken, a laser cutter/engraver is a form of a CNC machine too. It does have a computer interface and is numerically controlled for it's positions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cnc

Lee DeRaud
06-15-2013, 7:47 PM
If I'm not mistaken, a laser cutter/engraver is a form of a CNC machine too. It does have a computer interface and is numerically controlled for it's positions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cnc Yes, I know, as I (and several others here) have both a laser engraver and a CNC router...which is what Mike was referring to.

Mike Null
06-16-2013, 7:28 AM
Yes, I was referring to a cnc router.

This Kern engraving is remarkable though and not one that I think I could do with my machine. Obviously it takes special 3d art but with my 45 watts it would take more time than it's worth.

Jiten Patel
06-16-2013, 9:54 AM
Jason,

Here are a few examples of some key chains done on a 80w Trotec. They were just sample files the engineer had with him. 264583264584

Jason Hilton
06-16-2013, 8:45 PM
Wow! Those are fantastic! And exactly the kind of examples I need to reassure me that Trotec drives can do 3d well. Thanks!

Jason Hilton
06-17-2013, 11:53 AM
I'm not sure what they used, unfortunately. I can e-mail and ask though!

Chuck Stone
06-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Jason,

Here are a few examples of some key chains done on a 80w Trotec.

very nice!

ok, everyone .. only 174 more shopping days till Chuck Stone's birthday. (observed)

Paul Phillips
06-17-2013, 12:43 PM
This topic had been discussed many times, if you do a search for 3d, you will find that http://www.gantryco.com/ is the place that specializes in 3d files for the laser. The files have to be tweaked in just the right way to get the level of detail that you saw on the eagle so they are not cheap, they also take a relatively long time to engrave unless you have more than 100watts. It seems that no one has ever been able to figure out a way to make money with 3d laser files but I would be interested to find out if someone has figured out a way, other than the laser manufacturers using them as examples of how cool the laser is. I believe the consensus still remains that it's cool but too expensive and time consuming to make money with. You can get the 3d eagle sample from gantryco if you click on the eagle picture you can ask for them to e-mail it to you. Mine looked best on some 1/2" maple.

Chuck Stone
06-18-2013, 7:23 AM
It seems that no one has ever been able to figure out a way to make money with 3d laser files but I would be interested to find out if someone has figured out a way, other than the laser manufacturers using them as examples of how cool the laser is.

I started using it to make 3D pen blanks, as well as rastering Corian
to make positives for silicone molds.
It isn't as if once you buy the laser, the people start coming in saying "I heard
you do 3D!" Like any other tool.. someone will find a way to use it in ways that
might not be the 'norm' and some may not see the possibilities. And while 3D
files themselves might not be the goal, once you realize that it is simply changing
power on the fly in raster mode, it could change the way you lay out your files.
Something you might have done in two or three passes before (due to different
power levels for different areas/materials/effects etc.) can perhaps be done in
one pass using the 3D mode. Time saved is money in the bank..

Frédéric PARROT
06-19-2013, 7:55 AM
I'm not sure what they used, unfortunately. I can e-mail and ask though!Ok, thank you very mutch :)