PDA

View Full Version : craftsman paint

Mike Hedges
05-20-2005, 1:11 PM
tryiing to refurbish a 50 year old jig or scroll saw. My father -law's old saw . what is a source for the paint . Want to make it like the original . Will post pic when completed.

Dale Rodabaugh
05-20-2005, 2:04 PM
I dont know where uyou would find the paint,perhaps take the saw to a good paint dealer and they can mix some up for you.your post is very interesting,because I just bought an old Craftsman Jig Saw,circa 1951,also a lathe of the same year.both in very good shape.:cool:

Matt Meiser
05-20-2005, 2:07 PM
If it is a "hammered" paint, you might be able to find something close at a hardware store. Rustoleum and Hammertone make these paints in a variety of colors.

Dev Emch
05-20-2005, 6:38 PM
A 50 year craftsman! That anit Sears my friend! These were built for sears under OEM contracts. Many companies made machines for sears at one time or another. Based on the age, it may be an Atlas or a Parks. But as I said, there were a number of companies.

Your best hope is to go to the old woodworking machines web site and forum. The site is www.owwm.com (http://www.owwm.com) and the forum is the OWWM forum under the yahoo bunch.

These resources are focused on the aquisition and restoration of vintage woodworking machines built in north america. That includes canada.

There is a bunch of info. You can even figure out how to get home shop machinists to remake missing or broken parts if that is needed. Just the other day, I was looking for the unique sherwin williams lacquer used to paint oliver machines the unique oliver teal green. They not only had it, but they had the propriatary sherwin williams part number for mixing this stuff for the old oliver.

Give it a try. And if you restore it to factory new, they will be glad for you to post a picture or two of the finished machine.

Steve Stube
05-20-2005, 7:21 PM
I suggest you take a painted piece from the saw (where fading will be at a minimum) to your local computerized paint matching facility (ACE Hardware, Lowes and others) for a match mix in a good oil based enamel. ACE has some fair quality oil base paint. They only need a target area of about 5/8" diameter to get a match. The saw I think you are referring to was painted a few different colors depending on year.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/ceethese/SearsJigSaw3.jpg