PDA

View Full Version : Tips for freeing a stuck Jorgy Cabinet Master clamp...

Michael Dunn
06-14-2013, 3:14 PM
Over the last couple of years I've acquired 24 Jorgy Parallel jaw clamp from the Menards sales. I have a few that are stuck shut. Has this happened to anyone before? I've never really spent much time trying to get them open since I've never needed all 24 clamps at once. Today I will every single clamp available.

The jaw is fully shut and has the acme thread is almost all the way CCW. I've made a habit of leaving the threaded handle at 50% of its travel to avoid this. These stuck clamps may have been like this when I purchased them.

Any tips?

Sam Murdoch
06-14-2013, 4:48 PM
Well you identified the cause - "The jaw is fully shut and has the acme thread is almost all the way CCW." Try some spray lube in the threads and tap on the slide jaw lightly as you try to work the thread open a bit more. The jaw is likely closed a bit on an angle. It will help to change the angle. Good luck.

Joe Scharle
06-14-2013, 4:54 PM
I had some like that and I do like the clamps. They came out with an engineering change that adds a bump to the movable part.

Here you go:

Jim Luley
Adjustable Clamp Company
404 North Armour Street
Chicago, IL 60642
Phone: 312.666.0640 X7141
Fax: 312.666.2723
website: www.adjustableclamp.com (http://www.adjustableclamp.com/)

He replaced mine for free.

Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Michael Dunn
06-14-2013, 5:00 PM
Well you identified the cause - "The jaw is fully shut and has the acme thread is almost all the way CCW." Try some spray lube in the threads and tap on the slide jaw lightly as you try to work the thread open a bit more. The jaw is likely closed a bit on an angle. It will help to change the angle. Good luck.

I resolved it shortly after I posted my OP. I clamped the bar in my bench vise and tightened the jaw further, (Counter-intuitive, right?) then inserted a flat head screw driver behind the jaw and pried it downward and it popped right open.
Thanx for the tip though!!!

glenn bradley
06-14-2013, 5:01 PM
264414I believe the basic function is similar to the Bessey K-body mechanism. The piece with the red arrow pointing at it needs the portion that surrounds the bar (shown by the blue arrow) to move away from the fixed head (towards the tail end of the clamp). Clamp the bar vertically to something with the bar touching the floor for support. Use a piece of wood and a mallet to tap that metal piece where it surrounds the bar, driving it toward to floor. did that make any sense?

You can't really see the portion of the metal piece in either picture but, it need to move in the direction of the black arrow:

fRED mCnEILL
06-15-2013, 12:18 AM
I had the same problem with some I got for Christmas one year. Took them back and got Bessy's-solved the problem.