PDA

View Full Version : Crack in goblet

Dave Pugh
06-14-2013, 3:01 PM
I just finished this small goblet and a crack formed in the side sometime while sanding. The wood is cherry and the finish is mineral oil and beeswax. Is there a way to fix this crack? It is a very thin crack running down the middle in the first picture.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/DavidPugh/IMG_3447_zps751c0406.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/DavidPugh/IMG_3450_zps19bca561.jpg

Mike Cruz
06-14-2013, 3:08 PM
I would say to put some wood glue into the joint (it won't take a lot, just force it in by rubbing it with your finger tip on both sides of the crack to make sure some gets in there). Use whatever you need to to clamp it down (rubber bands, small F clamp). Wipe down any excess with a damp paper towel. And in 10 minutes or so, you can lightly sand if need be. Or you can leave it on for an hour if you want. I would not use CA because I've found that it discolors the wood too often...

Dave Pugh
06-14-2013, 3:14 PM
Excellent. I have only been turning for a couple of months now, and this is my first end grain hollowing project and goblet like project. I have made a couple of small bowls, some bottle stoppers, and bud vases. I figured if all else failed I would melt some beeswax and seal it atleast so that I can use it for the intended purpose of briefly holding single malt whiskey, and be more carefull the next time around.

Tim Rinehart
06-14-2013, 4:12 PM
Dave,
If you can pull the crack together by hand, you may be able to use some CA glue and not get a discoloration issue. The trick whenever using CA when you don't want to sand/turn alot off, is to treat the surrounding area up to and even including the edge of crack with shellac. This will allow you to place a small amount of CA in the crack, and hold it tight till set. Don't use too much, you could end up gluing your hands to the piece. DAMHIKT.
When dry, just lightly sand that area, inside and out to remove excess shellac and refinish with what you started with.

If you want...practice on a piece of scrap that has same finish on it, and see if it works. Always does for me and never leaves a trace...or at least less of one than the crack.