PDA

View Full Version : Are police trained to identify cars?

Stephen Tashiro
06-14-2013, 2:16 PM
Do police get training in how to identify cars ? - something like the target silhouettes of ships, tanks and planes used in military training? Or is the ability to identify the year, make and model of a car something they pick-up on the job? Or are they like me? The only way I can identify cars is to read the symbols and letters on the body.

Stephen Cherry
06-14-2013, 2:26 PM
I don't know, but most of the cars today look alike.

Erik Loza
06-14-2013, 2:38 PM
Do police get training in how to identify cars ? - something like the target silhouettes of ships, tanks and planes used in military training? Or is the ability to identify the year, make and model of a car something they pick-up on the job? Or are they like me? The only way I can identify cars is to read the symbols and letters on the body.

I have several friends in LE: No special training to identify specific makes or models of vehicles. They use color, name of mfr if possible, style (sedan, coupe, SUV, etc.) and license plate when calling in or describing a vehicle.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

ray hampton
06-14-2013, 5:22 PM

If the police pull a certain model & made of car over often enough then they will remember the details of the body style

Biff Johnson
06-15-2013, 6:43 PM
I think the ability to recognize vehicles comes with being a "car guy". I detest the styling of most modern cars but I can still identify many of them. Well, except for the amorphous Camryfiestakiahyundaiacura sedans which propagate at a frightening rate. What happened to chrome and bumpers?

ray hampton
06-15-2013, 7:59 PM
I think the ability to recognize vehicles comes with being a "car guy". I detest the styling of most modern cars but I can still identify many of them. Well, except for the amorphous Camryfiestakiahyundaiacura sedans which propagate at a frightening rate. What happened to chrome and bumpers?

chrome and bumpers are replace with plastic or fiberglas, spider webs would make a better bumper