PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw useage

John Keeling
05-20-2005, 1:04 PM
I was resawing ~10" wide 12' long ash boards a couple of weeks ago and my bandsaw seemed to be handling it pretty well. Saw suddenly stopped on my 3rd board. Motor cabinet very hot, so let it cool down, after all if i'd've overloaded it the trip would have popped huh!?
Saw is a 14" Jet, 1hp with a 6" riser block. No overload/reset on the motor!
Motor cooked beyond repair. Needs to be replaced. So was I really doing something I shouldn't have been? Should my saw be able to handle that? My blade seemed sharp and running true. Was using a resaw fence etc.

The second part of the question is the replacement:
Option 1 is a direct replcement 1 hp Taiwanese motor from Jet probably with no overload switch. ~$110+shipping

Option 2 is, could I fit a 1.5hp Taiwanese motor from Jet for their deluxe 14" bandsaws? Not sure if it would have an O/L switch or not. ~$200+shipping.

Option 3 is, a US made 1hp motor. Probably relatively big $ but may be worth it if its a truly better motor.

Your thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks

John

Kevin Post
05-20-2005, 1:42 PM
John:

I have exactly the same setup; a Jet 14" bandsaw w/ 6" riser installed and a 1 HP motor. I had exactly the same problem shortly after I got the saw while I was resawing some maple. The saw stopped because the breaker had tripped. The motor was too hot to touch. It was totally cooked...

Fortunately, my saw was under warranty and Jet replaced the motor. At the time this occured I happened upon a discussion about the benefits of 220 over 110 wiring. When I replaced the motor, I wired it for 220. I have not had a problem since.

FWIW: I'm not sure if I just had a bad motor or if wiring it for 220 made the difference (maybe both).

-Kevin

Jim Becker
05-20-2005, 3:39 PM
John, if need or want to change the motor on your Jet machine, I suggest you go to a 1.5hp motor. The same frame type will fit and help performance a bit. 2hp motors are physically larger and might be a tough fit. 1.5hp motors are pretty accessable these days...Northern Tool, for example, carries a 1.5hp Leeson (USA made) for about $170-180 or so. Import motors from Grizzly and other sources are a bit less.

Nick Mitchell
05-20-2005, 3:45 PM
While I agree your motor shouldn't have bailed like that...imo possible causes are a dull blade, too many TPI on the blade and/or excessive feed speed.

John Keeling
05-20-2005, 4:52 PM
New blade, 3 TPI, 5/8". Feed was probably 6"/min which didn't seem excessive to me but...

Not sure that a good deal of the problem isn't lack of air flow in motor cabinet. I think I may drill some holes in the sides when I do get it up and running again.

1.5HP sounds doable. Jim do you happen to know if the Northern motor is a TEFC, etc? If not no probs will take a look on their site later.

I would have to get 220V supply linked up to my sub-box for the motor re-wire option. Thinking about it for later this year though.

Thanks for the help.

John