PDA

View Full Version : I did it! Ordered the CRP4848 tonight!

Curtis O. Seebeck
06-14-2013, 12:12 AM
Well, I went and did it! I ordered a CRP4848 from CNCrouterparts.com. I also ordered a Hitachi M12VC from Amazon to go with it. The sad things is, I already own a M12VC but I dropped it one time with a 3 1/2" long 1/2" flush cut bit in it and of course, the router hit on the bit on an angle. Ever since, that router has not run true so I assume I slightly bent the armature.

Anyway, here is what all I ordered in case you are interested!

1 x CRP4848 4' x 4' CNC Router Kit
- Version: Nema 23 Compatible (Standard)
- x Pro Rack and Pinion upgrade
1 x VCarve Pro CAM Software
1 x Mach3 CNC Control Software
1 x Complete Cable Track Kit
- Machine Size: CRP4848 4' x 4'
1 x 4 Axis Electronics Kit
- Cable Upgrade: (2) 12' and (2) 20' cables
- Motor Shaft Diameter: 3/8" (Low Inductance 320 oz-in
1 x Hitachi M1VC Router Mount
- Version: Standard
1 x Emergency Stop
1 x 10 Foot Parallel Port Cable
1 x Proximity Limit Switch Kit

Now to start on my base and wait for the parts to get here! Then I have to figure out how to use the darn thing! Does anyone have any links to good, general CNC Router operation tutorials?

I'll try to keep you guys posted on my progress! I am not going to do a build log as I want to just get it done and not worry about taking pictures! I may take a few and will certainly take some when complete.

Thanks for all your advice and help in my other thread! Now I just have to get over the shock of spending over $5k on shop equipment! This is the second largest woodworking purchase I have made for tools. My Timberking 1220 was the largest but not by a whole lot!

Scott Challoner
06-14-2013, 10:29 AM
Congratulations Curtis. I'll be interested in your progress. I've been trying to get myself into CNC for a couple of years now and haven't gotten far. I was looking at the CRP4848 too so it will be nice to see how it goes. Good luck.

Ahren Johnson
06-14-2013, 7:02 PM
Hey Curtis,

Looks like most of your order when out today. You should be able to start assembling next weekend if everything goes well. Thanks again for your business!

Best regards,

Ahren
cncrouterparts

bobby milam
06-16-2013, 1:11 AM
Congrats! I'll be following your build. As far as your cnc tutorials, you'll probably want the ones on the vectric. You can go download a trial copy on their site and start practicing. They have several videos there and you should start watching them. You'll probably have to watch them several times as you start learning the software to get everything from them. I can help you out if you have any questions on it. As far as Mach 3, I know nothing about it. Once you start getting the hang of vcarve, it comes pretty fast. One day it will just click so be patient with it.

I'm curious on how long it takes to put one of the kits together.

Curtis O. Seebeck
06-16-2013, 2:42 AM
Thanks Bobby.

I have already downloaded the VCarve trial and have been using it for a week. I already have my first run of parts drawn and simulated. I have watched most of the tutorials as well. Fortunately, I pick up new software very quickly, especially stuff like this. I was a custom home builder for 15 years and drew the complete plans for almost all of the 75 or so houses I built with parametric CAD software so I already think in 3d space. For tutorials, I am more interested in how to operate the machine itself. Such as, how to zero the z axis to my work, etc. The physical operation of the machine. I am interested in tips to avoid gotcha's and messed up work!

Jerome Stanek
06-16-2013, 7:07 AM
Ever so often on the Shopbot forum they will have online training classes most of it will apply to any cnc

bobby milam
06-16-2013, 7:45 PM
For zeroing the z axis with my machine I have done the manual adjusting using a sheet of paper to space it and for me it was a PIA. I then lowered the router, loosened the bit letting it rest on the project and then tightening it. That works ok and is fairly quick but you have to be really careful to keep from moving the bit while tightening. I bought a touchplate as soon as they became available and have never looked back. Drop the block on your project or set your z axis to the spoil board, our preference, attach a magnet to the router and a couple of clicks of the mouse and it is set. I was pretty much limited on the touchplate because I had to have a download for my control box to read it. I believe you might be able to make your own for your machine.

For me it is more accurate and faster than any manual way that I have tried. If I want to go over the piece a second time to clean up some fuzzies, I do the same process and then can lower it a thousandth or what ever I want and hit run. Never have to go back into the software and reset the toolpaths.

Ross Moshinsky
06-17-2013, 2:44 PM
Thanks Bobby.

I have already downloaded the VCarve trial and have been using it for a week. I already have my first run of parts drawn and simulated. I have watched most of the tutorials as well. Fortunately, I pick up new software very quickly, especially stuff like this. I was a custom home builder for 15 years and drew the complete plans for almost all of the 75 or so houses I built with parametric CAD software so I already think in 3d space. For tutorials, I am more interested in how to operate the machine itself. Such as, how to zero the z axis to my work, etc. The physical operation of the machine. I am interested in tips to avoid gotcha's and messed up work!

You're going to find Mach3's site and forum probably the best resource for such things.

Mike Heidrick
06-17-2013, 5:03 PM
Run one wire to one input on your G540 connected to a piece of copper clad plastic board is a touch plate. Enable that input pin number as the probe in Mach. Run a Mach screen with the script built into it. Edit the script for your desired speed of lowering the router, distance traveled during the script, and the retract rate. Done. Cost is $2. Better yet wire two plates to the same input and do dual touch plates with the Mach Blue Big Tex screen - one for the work to and one set to the bed. Same config only on the screen you tell it where that fixed plate is on your bed. I keep the first plate detachable (use a banana plug and receptical, connected to an old coil phone charger cord soldered to teh copper clad board) with a port for it on my Z axis - that way it is always where I mount my work. $6 for two plates, wire, and plugs.

Curtis O. Seebeck
06-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the input, guys! I just bought the materials for my base today and am working on it tonight! I bought a couple of 1.75" x 14" LVL beams from the local lumber yard and then ripped them to 6 7/8". I will double them up for the outside frame. Then use singles inside for "joists". I used to be a custom home builder and have used a LOT of LVL's and know their strength and know I don't need to double them, I am just doing it for added weight and mass. The legs will be 3 pieces of LVL glued up after planing and jointing to make 5"x5" legs. At the bottom will be a shelf and then I will enclose the entire thing in plywood for rack resistance. I am going to make doors in the plywood base so I can use the space for storage. I am also going to put in a few drawers to hold tooling and may even put the computer in there with a fan. This is getting exciting now!

Mike, i just ordered a piece of copper clad board from Amazon a minute ago. I will do as you suggested in our phone conversation as well as posted here.

BTW, for everyone else, Mike Heidrick is one heck of a guy! I sent him a PM here to see if he would be willing to talk with me on the phone since he has been involved with a CRC484 builid. I was doubtful he would take them time but he not only took time, he spent over an hour on the phone with me this weekend! It was real reassuring being able to talk with him! Thanks, Mike, for your help and in advance for you help in the future!

Thanks again everyone else as well!

Jim Underwood
06-18-2013, 1:58 PM
Looking forward to seeing your build come to life. Thanks for sharing with us.

Curtis O. Seebeck
06-19-2013, 2:40 PM
Looking forward to seeing your build come to life. Thanks for sharing with us.

I started a build thread over at cnczone. If anyone is interested in seeing it here, I will be happy to post here. I just have not seen many build threads here and don't want to clutter the forum and figured that many are also a member at the other site.

Mike Heidrick
06-19-2013, 3:43 PM
So many threads on the zone - feedback is almost non-existent. Good luck with your build.