PDA

View Full Version : Delta rockwell drill press restore?

Dan Masshardt
06-13-2013, 8:01 PM
I bought this old drill press at an auction. It belonged to an older friend of mine - now deceased. It seems to run fine and I'm thinking of trying to restore it.

Has anybody been through this process to share advice or a thread / video?

Or if its not worth it, let me know. Seems like mostly tlc.

Thanks!

jeff friedhoff
06-13-2013, 8:28 PM
That's a nice one, fix it up for sure. The "retirement" light is probably worth $50-75 easy.

Thomas Hotchkin
06-13-2013, 8:46 PM
Dan
As Jeff said it's a nice one. Lot of great info on restoring Delta tools at OWWM, even a cool way to polish cast iron column. Tom

Dan Masshardt
06-13-2013, 9:15 PM
Thanks guys. I'll check that out.

Ben Kiefer
06-13-2013, 10:36 PM
I hope that it is OK to link to another forum. If not, mods please delete.

The thread that you want is

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB2&Number=4978276

Dan Masshardt
06-14-2013, 11:29 AM
I was wondering why the base was so small on this. Apparently it was originally a bench top model turned into a floor model?

glenn bradley
06-14-2013, 11:38 AM
I gave a floor version of one of these away recently. Grandpa bought it new and it certainly surpassed many of the new sub-$1000 offerings out there today. It's only crime was being only a 14" swing in a family of larger DP users without room for an extra. I would restore it or just use it. Either way it is a solid machine. I gave mine away as there are many in the used market for $100 or so and the recipient will get good use from it and is shy on funds :)

Erik Manchester
06-14-2013, 2:30 PM
Dan,

Nice old Delta there. I have a Craftsman (Atlas) drill press from the 1930's that is very similar to yours and belonged to my grandfather. Like yours, it was a bench model that had a longer post added. It works fine as a floor model but I secured it to the concrete with three lag bolts to improve stability.

Those old presses are solid users and as long as the bearings are kept clean and well lubricated will last generations.

I have restored mine to a benchtop for small tasks as I now have a larger drill press for heavier drilling tasks.

Myk Rian
06-14-2013, 6:10 PM
I was wondering why the base was so small on this. Apparently it was originally a bench top model turned into a floor model?
Early presses had the smaller, round bases. Bolt it to a piece of plywood if it makes you more comfortable with it.

Lee Schierer
06-14-2013, 7:17 PM
I have a table mounted version of that same drill press. The bearings on the spindle are oilite sleeve bearings that are easy to press out and press the new ones in. There are also thrust bearings on the spindle that are readily available and easy to replace. The only problem I have is that the gear teeth to raise and lower the quill are smaller than the teeth on the quill so there is some amount of play between them. What this causes is chatter when you try to put countersinks into a hard material like steel or aluminum. It doesn't affect normal drilling. and most other operations. By tightening down slightly on the quill lock you can reduce the problem but not totally eliminate it.

Dan Masshardt
06-14-2013, 8:15 PM
Thanks for the responses. I started pulling it apart this afternoon. What I don't like is the main tube (made from a pipe? The ends seem to be ground some a bit with a grinder and it will take a but of banging to get base and head out. (Interestingly, the shaft was only halfway through the head. I'm not sure if it slid out in transport etc or if it was only ever it half way. I don't like it, but I'm not sure what do do with it...

Lee Schierer
06-14-2013, 8:37 PM
You can probably get a machine shop to turn the pipe to reduce the diameter slightly while making it perfectly round for a nominal amount. Be sure to take the base and the head with you so they can measure what you need. My tube is machined and polished along the full length.