PDA

View Full Version : Double Image for Small Fonts

Sean Coyne
06-13-2013, 7:36 PM
Hey Creekers, long time viewer, first time poster.

I'm Having difficulty with a Trotec Speedy 300. When running jobs that require the head to travel along the X axis for the full length of the table, we receive a double image. (See picture) This only happens with smaller, intricate designs and only when the head travels most of the X length of the table. Also, when this happens, only the inner text is doubled, while the outer text looks fine.

I have aligned the mirrors best I could. Every corner of the table engraves fine. I also tested engraving at the center of the table, where our problem with doubles happens. And when left to engrave a smaller area (7.5 x 6.5) with the same intricate design, it does fine.

Any help or tests I can run to determine the problem would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks!

Chuck Stone
06-13-2013, 8:18 PM
First, welcome to the creek!

I don't have that laser or know anything about it except that I want one.
Having said that, I'm going to take a stab at it..
Are you sure this is only happening on the small text, or is it only SEEN on
the small text? If it happens on larger text, the effect might be hidden in the
engraved area, making it more difficult to see it. (just a thought)

I don't know what the equivalent of 'tickle voltage' is on that machine, but it
might be worth checking.

Also, if the lens carriage isn't locked in well, it could cant to one side or the
other while traveling, causing a slight mis-alignment. It would be a mis-aligmnent
in both directions, but your eye will pick one as being correct. The belt can cant
it to one side when moving left, then cant it to the other side on the return.

For it to happen only when using the whole bed, I'd also look at the bearings or
bushings at the belt pulleys. (not sure of your configuration) to see if there is
any binding at the end of the belt travel. Anything that can change the way the
carriage moves is suspect. It may bind on the way in and not on the way out..
.. or vice versa.

Bruce Volden
06-13-2013, 8:33 PM
I would also look at speed. Chuck's advice is spot on.

I know many people on here like to run "wide open" 100 speed/ 100 power. Makes them more money when it works.
It has been my experience to slow things down a "bit"---yes it is slower, but, no problems mon'. Just a thought.

Bruce

Mike Null
06-14-2013, 7:00 AM
First, glad to have you on the forum. Second, this is a situation that is most likely software related rather than mechanical so do not change anything mechanical until you have spoken with Trotec tech support.

For the moment, lowering your speed and power will help but you'll have to lower it quite a bit. Unless you have an older machine which is due for parts replacement the following will probably correct your problem.

The adjustments you need can be done by you with the tech on the phone briefly to get you started. Tech support will direct you to adjust the "K" corrections and the edit settings in your software. Be prepared with a considerable amount of laminated plastic to test the settings on.

Please post the model and power of your of your machine in your signature.

Scott Shepherd
06-14-2013, 8:00 AM
My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the #2 mirror has oil on it. The opening for the #2 mirror is next to the bearings for the X-Axis belt. Oil seeps out of the bearings and it slung in front of the beam, which vaporizes the oil and makes a mess on the mirror. It's something I discovered shortly after our machine arrived. I have photos of actual oil droplets, and oil on the actual mirror. Trotec designed a guard for it. They have said it was an isolated incident, but I've helped probably a dozen people with that same issue, as recently as 10 days ago. Now, if it's older machine (4-5 years), then it's probably not the issue. If it's a newer machine (less than 2 years), it would be the very first thing I checked. It's 2 socket head cap screws to take the #2 mirror off and inspect it. Make sure you don't mess with ANY of the other screws on that assembly.

When oil gets on the mirror, it splits or fattens the beam at random points on the table. It also makes you think you need to align it, which of course is a big mistake because now you're aligning the machine with a beam that's being distorted, so you're actually adjusting the machine OUT of alignment, which makes things worse.

My guess, if your machine has been running fine, that this is that issue. Ours came on suddenly. It engraved great for a while, then one day, I got double images in part of the table. It took me a while to figure it out, but once I did, it solved the problem.

Sean Coyne
06-14-2013, 1:26 PM
Fixed! I called trotec support and explained what was happening. They told me to adjust and test the machines K1 setting. Worked like a charm.
Thanks for the help everyone.