PDA

View Full Version : Nova G3--Good for my daughter?

Matt Meiser
06-13-2013, 7:03 PM
I'm working on getting my 11YO daughter into turning. We picked up a Craftsman (identical to the Rikon) mini lathe on a great clearance deal and have done some pens and she is taking a couple classes at Woodcraft this summer. I'm thinking that a lot of the things she sees that she'd like to make once she gets some basics down are going to require a chuck. Woodcraft is recommending the Nova G3. Anything different we should consider? They are suggesting spending the extra to get a keyed chuck instead of the tommy bars and say this should be all the chuck we'd ever need, even if we moved up to a bigger lathe some day. Any disagreement with that recommendation?

Rob Boesem
06-13-2013, 7:26 PM
I have two G3's as well as a Super Nova II, and I am very happy with the G3. I'm using them on big pieces on my 18x47 lathe and they hold just as well as the Super Nova, and all the jaws are interchangeable.

John Keeton
06-13-2013, 7:29 PM
The G3 is a good chuck, but I would make sure to get the one that accepts an insert. There is the Delta model G3 (G3-D, I think) that comes threaded 1" x 8 tpi, which would fit your lathe, but not a larger lather with a 1.25" spindle. The G3 is limited to a 14" swing lathe. Above that, and you need to go to a larger chuck.

I do agree with getting a keyed chuck vs. tommy bars. Bedsides, the mini Nova does not accept an insert, as I recall.

Michelle Rich
06-13-2013, 8:39 PM
good for anybody

Robert Henrickson
06-13-2013, 9:43 PM
I have a couple G3s which I use on a Jet 1642 or Powermatic, but for smaller projects, such as spindle work. They were originally bought for use on a Jet mini. For larger things on the 1642, I use a Stronghold.

Definitely get a G3 that takes an insert, as John Keeton suggested. I have inserts for the G3s so that I can use them on either a 1" spindle (mini or midi lathe) or 1 1/4" (larger lathes -- e.g., Jet 1642 or Powermatic). Helpful when I have to do a demo but can't be sure what lathe I will be using.

And, most definitely -- keyed. NOT tommy bars.

James Combs
06-13-2013, 9:50 PM
I have two G3's as well as a Super Nova II, and I am very happy with the G3. I'm using them on big pieces on my 18x47 lathe and they hold just as well as the Super Nova, and all the jaws are interchangeable.
What Bob said except I use them on a Grizzly 1220 and a Jet 1642.

Thomas Canfield
06-13-2013, 10:43 PM
You can get a 1 1/4 to 1" adapter from PSI for about $20. Mine works as well as the $45 or so Jet, but some others have had problems. I use the little Nova Midi tommy bar on my Powermatic at times with the adapter without issue. I do think that a gear unit is a better long range choice and I love my Talon with straight serrated jaws versus dovetail jaws.

Mike Peace
06-13-2013, 11:27 PM
She will be happy with the G3. I would not be as concerned about whether it was direct threaded or required an insert. Chances are if you move up to a bigger lathe you would keep the mini and still need a chuck. I have a G3 with a 1"x8 I kept for my Jet mini that I use frequently on my PM with a spindle adapter. I keep 25mm jaws on it for small work.

John Keeton
06-14-2013, 6:01 AM
While I am sure many use the G3 on larger lathes (larger work), regarding the G3 chuck, Teknatool states -

Recommended for power workholding on lathes up to 400mm/14” diameter swing.

Up to 350mm/14" diameter bowls using 50mm/2” Jaws (supplied with chuck)
Up to 50mm/2" length spigots (using 50mm/2” Jaws (supplied with chuck)

As to using the larger jaws, the manual states - "Able to take all NOVA accessories jaws. However please note: the larger accessory jaws in the NOVA chuck range are not recommended for use on the NOVA G3 Chuck."

We recently have had threads discussing the dangers of work flying off the lathe, resulting in injury. Using a G3 on larger work may hold 99.99% of the time, but it would seem prudent to adhere to the manufacturer's restrictions - particularly when we are not talking about damage to the chuck or lathe, but damage to your person.

Thom Sturgill
06-14-2013, 6:58 AM
I have a G3 that I bought for my jet 1220 (and two PSI chucks) It used an insert so it has been changed to 1 1 /4" for my Jet 1642. I also have three SN2s for the larger lathe. The G3 is used only for smaller items, and I plan on selling it to buy another larger chuck, but only because I find multiple keys to be very inconvenient. It has been a reliable chuck, and I would recommend it over the PSI chucks.

Michael Mills
06-14-2013, 12:44 PM
Another + for the G3. I have four and never had a problem. I would go with the insert rather than direct threaded. A guy on the bay has the direct threaded for $120 or the insert style for $126 (both include shipping and your choice of insert if it takes an insert). I would spend the extra six bucks.

Going through about the same thing myself for my daughter (30 I think). Picked up the Comet for <$200 and going through my tools for duplicated or re-grinding to see what will be needed.

Dick Strauss
06-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Matt,
Teknatool also has some reconditioned G3s with a one year warranty for $99. http://www.novatoolsusa.com/RECONDITIONED-NOVA-G3-Wood-Turning-Chuck-48202-R.htm

Tommy bar models almost require three hands (one for each bar and one to hold the wood while you tighten the other two). I would spend extra and go with the keyed models.