PDA

View Full Version : Quick drawer slide question

Carl Beckett
06-13-2013, 2:16 PM
I have some old cabinets in my kitchen and the drawer slides are shot, so am going to replace them.

Depending on ease and cost, between 1 to 4 drawers (not a big project and I want to keep it that way).

Dimensions are:

Drawer length = 18"
Cabinet depth = 23.5"

Drawer width = 19.75"
Cabinet opening width = 20.75"

Whats your favorite? Note the cabinet is deeper than the drawer depth, and the slides mount on a frame at the back wall of the cabinet so the news ones have to accommodate this.

I doubt I care what they cost since these are the most used drawers in the house (I say that now, but reserve the right to retract it once I see the cost!)

Michael Weber
06-13-2013, 4:32 PM
No expert here but if you don't already plan to, get full extension slides. But of course, then you'll want to upgrade the others also:rolleyes:

Sam Murdoch
06-13-2013, 10:40 PM
The drawer width and the opening width would accommodate most side mount slides nicely - like Accuride or KVs or Topslides from Rockler. These could be full extension +1" for maximum access, BUT - you would need cabinet sides or fillers to maintain the 1/2" clearance on either side of the drawer boxes. The fact that you have 18" deep drawers and a 23-1/2" deep cabinet suggest to me that you can ignore the "back wall of the cabinet" frame. Am I missing something?

Carl Beckett
06-14-2013, 6:12 AM
The drawer width and the opening width would accommodate most side mount slides nicely - like Accuride or KVs or Topslides from Rockler. These could be full extension +1" for maximum access, BUT - you would need cabinet sides or fillers to maintain the 1/2" clearance on either side of the drawer boxes. The fact that you have 18" deep drawers and a 23-1/2" deep cabinet suggest to me that you can ignore the "back wall of the cabinet" frame. Am I missing something?

Let me get a picture. The drawer part mounts to the side of the drawer, no problem.

The cabinet half screws into the cabinet frame in front, but then all the way in the back there is another mounting point - no wall to screw into until the back of the cabinet.

Im sure this is a pretty no brainer, but I havent done a lot of cabinet slides (and need to do some research on how the different slides mount). If I go with 18" slides the cabinet side of the slide wont reach back far enough to mount. So I need some type of extension/mount on them - which then has to anchor on the side (not into the back).

That reads as confusing as all get out - I will try to get a pic.

Sam Murdoch
06-14-2013, 8:11 AM
Here is an option but I don't know how well it will work to hang a short drawer on a long slide - http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5690&site=ROCKLER

Alternatively, if you can't add a block to the sides of the cabinet to pad out for the slide (and I know this is impractical for drawers that meet in the middle with no partition) you might be able to add a false back or at least a 1x rail on which the slide can land. And/or use wooden runners. You can easily make those, admittedly these are not as satisfactory in a kitchen as ball bearing slides.

Rick Potter
06-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Regular, side mounted, ball bearing slides would fit nicely. You need 1/2" clearance on each side. As stated above, the front of the cabinet member would mount directly to the face frame. For the rear of the cabinet member, if you have solid sides on the cabinet walls, there are spacers you can buy, or build to attach the slide to. If not, they sell rear mounted holders for the slides.

The drawer part of the slide screws to the drawer side, as stated above.

May I suggest, if you are getting full extension slides, consider making new longer drawer boxes to give yourself some more storage. 22" slides are pretty common.

Rick Potter