PDA

View Full Version : 2 cheap fleabay finds

john davey
06-13-2013, 1:36 PM
I got these 2 saws off an impulse ebay bid. I bid 15 bucks and figured if I got them fine if not no biggie. Well They are mine now. The smaller one is in rather nice shape just dirty. Solid and a sharpening will put it into use. The other one has some issues. It looks like the sharpening on it has gone crooked and it will need grinding to get it straight. The back may have slipped as well. I do like the size of this saw though and will grind it to see if I can make it a cross cut saw for smaller work... I'll post some more pics after I clean them up...John

Chris Hachet
06-13-2013, 2:03 PM
You rock, seriously. Glad to see these tools in the hands of a user and not a decoration hanging on the wall of some greasy spoon that serves terrible lunch food to people unwilling to pay over 5 bucks a plate for lunch....

Jim Koepke
06-13-2013, 2:11 PM
You are lucky I'm not trolling the bay for saws. I might have bid $16.

Do you know the makers?

jtk

David Weaver
06-13-2013, 2:12 PM
I'd replate it. get a decent set of calipers and find out what thickness the steel is and get a toothed plate in whatever pattern you like. It should be about 20 bucks to get one with teeth and it'll cut like a premium new saw after you finish file the teeth (not to mention, getting the teeth cut in a saw is usually about 5 bucks, about the same as it would cost you in files to cut teeth with a file.

john davey
06-13-2013, 3:43 PM
Jackson and Johnson are what I see on them from the add. I will hopefully be able to see some marks when I clean them up. As far as replating that wounds like a good idea. I did not know that is an option so i will research this some more. Sadly I believe by the time I straighten the thing there may be nothing left to sharpen.

Steve Voigt
06-13-2013, 4:51 PM
Dave, where would you go to get a new plate? I also didn't know this was an option.

Mark Dorman
06-13-2013, 7:36 PM
Dave, where would you go to get a new plate? I also didn't know this was an option.

Not Dave but I have an answer. Bontz (http://www.bontzsawworks.net/app/download/7008744604/Saw+components+Price+List1.docx) saw works

Steve Voigt
06-13-2013, 8:34 PM
Thanks Mark, that's great to know!