PDA

View Full Version : Poll re Table Saw Splitter Use

Frank Pellow
05-20-2005, 9:28 AM
The thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20324 contains a mixture of responses about the use of guards and splitters.

I have received some encouragement to break out a new thread that deals only with splitters and riving knives. Here goes:

The following best describes my use of a splitter with my table saw.

If you have more than one table saw, please answer for the one that you use the most.

Jim Becker
05-20-2005, 9:29 AM
Splitter 100% of the time that it's possible and practical. Biesemeyer snap in...with the pawls removed.

Dan Owen
05-20-2005, 9:32 AM
Splitter all the time. Micro Jig in a zero clearance insert.

Frank Pellow
05-20-2005, 9:35 AM
Jim and Dan, you are both very fast -I had not even finished writing the poll question when you both responded. Please go back and vote.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-20-2005, 9:52 AM
One of the best features of my Craftsman Jobsite saw (in my opinion) is the riving knife. Takes but 5 seconds to take on and off. I really like how close to the back of the blade it is.

I use mine whenever possible which is about 95% of the time.

Wes Newman
05-20-2005, 9:55 AM
I have a homemade splitter that I use whenever I can.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-20-2005, 9:58 AM
I use the factory splitter whenever possible.

Bill Lewis
05-20-2005, 10:07 AM
Well, I'll be able to use my new saw with the Bies splitter if I ever get it set up. Just talked to my dealer, they're being told by Delta, that the mobil base issue should be resolved within 2 weeks. I'll believe it when I see it.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Other than that I still make a strong vote for a splitter. I had one too many kickbacks on my contractors saw. Even with relatively minor ones you still find yourself doing a body part inventory check.

Dave Falkenstein
05-20-2005, 10:55 AM
The only time I remove the Biesemeyer splitter on my Jet cabinet saw is to make dado or other non-through cuts. The Biesemeyer works way better than the stock splitter.

Terry Hatfield
05-20-2005, 11:08 AM
MJ splitter any time it's possible to use it. Feel naked with no splitter.

t

Mike Holbrook
05-20-2005, 11:15 AM
I modified the factory made protector that came with my General Contractor Saw. I removed the pawls and guard leaving just a splitter. I am thinking about putting a simpler guard over the splitter, using the attachment area for the previous guard. I also have a couple splitter/riving knives that came with another saw (Inca) that I may try to modify and add, they are much better quality than the one that came on the saw.

I have a MJ Splitter, it does not look like it will fit on my zero clearance insert very well though, too close to the thumb hole for removing it. I am not about to maul my beloved LeeCraft insert (check my post on LeeeCraft) so I will have to do some testing first.

Byron Trantham
05-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Splitter 100% of the time that it's possible and practical. Biesemeyer snap in...with the pawls removed.

Same here.

Frank Pellow
05-20-2005, 11:24 AM

t
I'm with you on this Terry.

JayStPeter
05-20-2005, 11:32 AM
Use the removable delta splitter (the uniguard one) whenever possible ... pawls removed.

Jay

Russ Massery
05-20-2005, 12:36 PM

Same here...........

Ole Anderson
05-20-2005, 12:41 PM
Factory Grizz guard/splitter when making through cuts and not working too close to the fence, then I will use home built splitter.

John Miliunas
05-20-2005, 12:42 PM
Biesemeyer snap in whenever possible (which is most of the time!). Left pawl removed, may do same to the right.:) :cool:

Chris Padilla
05-20-2005, 1:50 PM
I have the MJ but have yet to implement it so I fall in the "don't use a splitter" category thus far....

Scott Coffelt
05-20-2005, 2:03 PM
MJ all the time (at least now that I had a kick back). I plan to build an overarm blade guard, but not finished yet.

Steve Wargo
05-20-2005, 2:05 PM
Table Saw?

lou sansone
05-20-2005, 4:47 PM
riving knife

Dev Emch
05-20-2005, 6:28 PM
I use both home made versions and factory versions of The Shark Fin.

I am the guy who disables the saw stop and hangs the guard in the front office for decor. But I would not get dressed without my shark's fin.

No Way... No How....

That and my chicken stix.

Its simple to use. Non obstructive. And most importantly, it does not interfere with the accuracy or functionality of my table saw.

John Hart
05-20-2005, 8:12 PM

I don't usually like to work with wood naked (too many splinters)...but, nope, don't use a splitter.:)

CPeter James
05-20-2005, 10:16 PM
On my new to me PM66, I have a home made splitter. It is a piece of oak 1 1/4" wide by .130" thick and is attached to the the PM's splitter mounting stud with a wing nut for easy removal. It is centered on the .125" blade which puts just a wee bit of pressure on the wood towards the fence and opens up the cut just a bit. It seems to work great and eliminates burning of fruitwoods like cherry, maple and oak.

CPeter