PDA

View Full Version : corner shop Dilemma, optimize space

Andrew Howe
06-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Hi all,

Trying to figure out what to do with this corner of my shop.
tentative plans are to make a fold out clamp rack, store straight edge tools, etc and leave vacuum there.
bottom right of picture is my table saw and to left is part of my workbench.

WHat have others done with this type of space in a corner of a small basement workshop?264291

Jim Neeley
06-13-2013, 12:30 AM
Hi Andrew,

If it were me I'd build a short (?3") high upside-down U shaped platform, sized to straddle the drill press base, and place my vacuum on top of it. It would free up the floor space currently used by the vac today. This assumes that you don't need to lower the table way down too frequently, such that you'd have to move the vac too often. In a small shop (and even in a bigger shop as you get more stuff <g>) floor space is a precious commodity.

Even if you don't use the floor space, it would give you good access to the right corner wall.

Just my $0.02.. YMMV.

Jim in Alaska

Jim Rimmer
06-13-2013, 1:37 PM
Without seeing the rest of the shop, if I had that space in my tiny shop, I would build some type of vertical wood storage and try to combine a clamp rack with it.

Michael Dunn
06-14-2013, 8:05 AM
If you don't already have one, a cyclone DC. I use pegboard all the way around my shop so I can hang stuff everywhere. Wall storage would benefit your area nicely me thinks. Perhaps a hinged clamp rack of some sort to have more clamps in the same amount of sq/ft of wall space.

Andrew Howe
06-14-2013, 8:51 PM
Thanks guys. I had not thought of moving dust collector. Let me see if I can post up another picture of the shop.

Andrew Howe
06-14-2013, 9:25 PM
OK, I added some more pictures for suggestions, you can see where my dust collector is currently. It could fit in the corner as someone suggested, and possibly minimize on runs from the table saw, but I am concerned it would get in the way of drilling stuff. My plans include building more under cabinet space under some of the work tables and moving one of the adjustable shelving units that is behind my joiner in first picture. seems like I spend too much time hunting for stuff.
And additional goal is to build a 5x5 hybrid festool table to replace the temp one seen in the third picture. I need a decent assembly table.

Rick Potter
06-16-2013, 4:08 AM
Andrew,

For the corner space I suggest checking out the chrome, metal, corner shelf unit they sell at Sam's Club. It looks like it might just fit in there, and you could hang clamps on the outside edge of it.

Another suggestion would be upper cabinets in several spaces like above the bench, and near the AC unit. Lots of storage area there.

Rick Potter