PDA

View Full Version : Welding I bought a torch

Lee Alkureishi
06-12-2013, 8:31 PM
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to metalworking/welding in general, and recently realized a cutting torch would make my life a lot easier. So, I've been scouring CL for a decent deal, and today I bought a torch. Wanted to check with the experts to make sure everything is a-ok before I go any further.

The kit I bought is an oxygen tank (4' tall), acetylene tank (3' tall) - both part filled, 15' of tubing (red/green coordinated), 2 regulators (models RC250-80-540 and 260t-15-510), a welding torch (WH26TFC), cutting torch (CA-25T) and the mobile cart. I paid $160, which is a good bit less than I've seen similar go for. I have a few questions, though.

- There is no brand name on any of the parts, except the regulators which say "Proline" on the bezel. They look like Victor parts, though, and searching for the model numbers only brings up results for Victor. Searching for Proline doesn't turn up much. Are these likely to be Victor, or a cheap knock off with the same model numbers? Did I get lucky?

- How do I figure out what the capacity of these gas tanks is? It doesn't say anywhere on them, though I think they're considered the "big" ones by the height.

- Can I just take the whole lot to a local welding supply shop and ask them to inspect it / make sure it's not going to explode?

- There was no proof of ownership on the gas bottles, or certification stickers on them. The guy I bought them from got them second hand in Miami, and has had them 3 years but never refilled them (didn't use it much). Will that be a problem if/when I try to refill them? I've seen conflicting reports...

Thanks in advance! Excited to start cutting with this thing, but want to do it right :) May also try my hand at welding with it, but for now I'll probably stick with my little lincoln flux-core bugger...

Lee

Wayne Crider
06-12-2013, 9:21 PM
The tanks have to be re-certified every so many years by testing. There is a charge. If you use alot of gas you turn your tank in and get one in exchange so you never really have to pay. If you try to exchange a tank that is out of date it depends on whether someone checks the date code stamped on the tank as to whether your caught. Exchange/welding supply companies don't like to get caught and pay the tab. Certifications can be 5 years and up. Go here:http://www.c-f-c.com/gaslink/docs/dot_cylinder.htm You can look the tank size up online. I use small tanks made for the A/C industry.

Check the hoses for cracks. Don't use if their cracked or the ends are iffy. Check the "O" rings on the torches so they don't leak and flash back on you. I would love to tell you the procedure for checking everything but I could get sued to hell if you have a problem. In lieu of that go to a welding supply shop and let them show you. Your going to need to know your regulator settings and how to adjust your flame anyways and that's a hands on thing.

George Carlson
06-13-2013, 8:00 PM
Wayne has right idea about looking them up online. The oxygen looks like a 122cuft to me, acetylene is probably about the same size. In any case, these are owner's tanks, so you shouldn't get any hassles when you swap them out.
The torch and gauges are probably imports, but they should still work OK. You might want to make sure your oxygen regulator doesn't leak. Set it to about 5psi, with the torch closed. Watch the gauge for awhile and make sure it stays at 5psi. If it climbs, that could be a real problem so fix or replace the regulator.
When not in use close the tank valves and open the torch valves (in case something leas, you hoses won't explode.

Thomas Kendrick
08-12-2013, 11:04 AM
Now that 2 months have elapsed, how is it going?
Since you will do mostly cutting, a tip cleaner set is needed for the cutting tip when slag clogs up the holes in the tip.
I have a similar setup, though it does not get used often. When I first started out, I used propane as a fuel gas and bought a propane tip which is necessary to keep the fire lit. Propane burns much slower. If you ever replace the hoses, get the ones that can be used with any fuel gas rather than those designed for acetylene only.
Here's what I have learned: steel slag sticks to concrete very firmly but a pressure washer will remove it.
Always have a garden hose attached and ready to work. I have set the lawn on fire a few times. Sprinkler systems work too if you know which station to turn on.
Keep a 5 gallon plastic bucket filled with water available for when I pick up something and need to cool the hand quickly.
Hot steel will embed itself in the bottom of a plastic bucket full of water; it just does not cool off enough on the way down.

Lee Alkureishi
08-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the tips! I replaced the hoses a while back (found some minute cracks in the rubber, probably not enough to worry about but I don't want to take any chances!), and built myself a cutting table. I tested the setup and had some fun cutting some thin gauge sheet metal a while back. Things have been hectic recently so I haven't been able to play with it much, but I'll get back to it some time soon.

Best,

Lee

ray hampton
08-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Now that 2 months have elapsed, how is it going?

Keep a 5 gallon plastic bucket filled with water available for when I pick up something and need to cool the hand quickly.
Hot steel will embed itself in the bottom of a plastic bucket full of water; it just does not cool off enough on the way down.

a layer of sand [2 inches] will protect the bucket BUT A metal bucket would be better

Carl Winterbauer
08-18-2013, 12:54 AM
Lee,
just read that your cutting thin metal.
If you have a chance give a plasma cutter a try, you'll hate O&A afterwards trust me.
I got lucky on an estate liquidation, latched onto a Hypertherm Max20 (clean cuts to 0.200") for $115.
Granted a lower powered unit but a joy to use with clean cuts within it's capacity.