PDA

View Full Version : The way my consumer lust works

Brian Kent
06-12-2013, 7:14 PM
Saturday I was very happy with my Delta 46-460. Thinking that in 5-10 years I would get a Powermatic-class lathe.

The on-off switch broke and it is in the shop until a part comes. What goes through my mind? Obsessively?

Powermatic. Now. Want. Neeeeeeed!

I am safe because I don't have the money now, but it is amazing how strong the pull is to a bigger vortex, just because I lack an on-off switch in my Delta and my consumer lust.

charlie knighton
06-12-2013, 7:41 PM
if you turn balanced blanks, the delta does very well as long as switch works, i always turned the lathe off to move the toolrest, the service center suggested i was over using the switch........the artisan center here has 5 or 6 deltas, same model, the switch is problem in all of them, seems the brushes supplied burn up or are two short to start with

Richard Coers
06-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Jet is on sale for 15% off from the 14th to 17th.

robert baccus
06-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Yeaaaa lathe lust.

Paul Williams
06-12-2013, 11:12 PM
I was in the Woodsmith Store in Des Moines IA yesterday. I noted that the new Delta 46-460 lathes have a new switch. The rotary speed dial is slightly different but appears to be the same operation with the potentiometer located behind the knob. The rocker switch is now a lever that turns through a hole in the side instead of on top of the case. I don't know when these changes were made but the on/off switch looks like a better setup than mine.

Dennis Nagle
06-13-2013, 4:30 AM
Or..... You could buy the PM and be using it for the next ten years and beyond. Much much better ROI that way.

Pat Scott
06-13-2013, 9:06 AM
Switches go out in Powermatics too, luckily it was still covered under Powermatics 5 year warranty. A new switch every 4-5 years? I guess that's acceptable considering how much use it gets. Now I try and give it a rest by switching between turning it off and turning the speed dial down to 0 when I want to look at the turning.

Duane Meadows
06-13-2013, 10:39 AM
The fact that you can blow the dust out of them and many times they work, says it not the number of on/off cycles, but rather the dust that does them in!

James Combs
06-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Got a Griz 1220 and a Jet 1642, have replaced the switch in the Griz 3 times in as many years(found an exact replacement on Amazon) I keep a spare one handy. Not problem with the jet...YET.