PDA

View Full Version : The awesome tool refabbing work of Wiktor Kuc

Jim Neeley
06-12-2013, 6:42 PM
About 18 months ago I placed an order with Wiktor for a Goodell-Pratt 5.5 drill and three Millers-Falls (732, 733 and 734) original-series braces. I received the drill about 6 months ago but the braces have been delayed. One thing led to another and yesterday I received one each of a 730 (14"), 731 (12"), 732 (10"), 733 (8") and 734 (6") braces.

They're in awesome condition with the handles long soaked in oil and the bodies completely disassembled, cleaned and greased. There is little to zero slop in the bearings and the ratchets and chucks work perfectly.

This isn't intended as a tool gloat but rather to extol Wiktor's awesome work.

No, the extra two braces weren't free :( ; they just became available during the time the others were in his queue. so I added them to the order.

Jim in Alaska

P.S. I know that some of you have done your own. In my case I haven't the time or interest in the refabbing; my thing is woodworking. :)

Frederick Skelly
06-12-2013, 7:38 PM
Pretty neat Jim! Whatcha gonna build with em?

Jim Koepke
06-12-2013, 8:00 PM
Looks nice having a matching set.

My set is just a bunch of odd ball Stanley braces sized from 8 - 12". Only two of them are from the same series. None of them are dressed up as fancy as yours.

jtk

Chris Griggs
06-12-2013, 8:36 PM
Those are pretty cool Jim. You know your gonna need some bits to make those work though right?;)

Jim Neeley
06-12-2013, 9:26 PM
@Frederick - The small one will likely live with a screwdriver bit, ready for hand tightening screws. The next two will likely see the next most use, wherever I need a hole. I want to wean myself off the power screwdrivers. The two largest ones would be used more for lag bolts... or when I swap the tires on my car! :) ...or as I get older and feebler and need more help!! :-)

@Chris - About the time I ordered these I purchased a set of Irwins and a set of Jennings from Eric Brown and he threw in another dozen assorted bits (forstner, reamer, spoon, awl, etc.) so I'm set for a bit... er, bit!!! :)

Wiktor sure does good work!!

(And I have no connection with Wiktor, except as a very satisfied customer).

Also, for the purists out there, these are not rare braces so I'm not damaging the pool of rare antiques. My mission is not to show them but to put them back to the purpose for which they were made. I'm hoping the refurb will help them to live for another 100 years.

Jim

Will Boulware
06-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Nice group photo there!!! I won't use the C word since these are to be working tools, but I'm jealous, for sure! Throw us another photo when they make some chips!