PDA

View Full Version : New to Forums - Epilog Legend 32EX 120W issues

Dustin Beach
06-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Hello all;

I am a graphic designer/project engineer for a very small but successful decorative arts company in Ohio. We're expanding out of the world of decorative craft painting into stencils and laser-cut wood surfaces and embellishments (plus stamps and paper in the future).

We recently purchased a 10-year old Epilog Legend 32EX 120W from out local distributors (it was a screaming good deal, and gives us the size and power we wanted but couldn't afford new). It's running fine but we're having issues with vector cutting. I've already contacted tech support, but while we're waiting, I'd like to see if any of you can give opinions for what might be wrong (I've searched the forums but didn't find anything specific to these issues).

When cutting vectors, the laser tends to skip entire lines. For instance, A key-shape was missing the front edges of the key teeth, as well as a few facets of the head-part of the design. We tried both PDFs and Corel X6 files, but it affected both. It's dependent on the design file and is not random within that design. Also, when cutting circles, we were getting ovals with wavy edges that don't have matching endpoints. We tried the designs on stencil Mylar (7 mil) first, then on 1/8" MDF. On the MDF, we noticed that the laser seems to be cutting at a slight angle, as the cut-lines aren't straight up and down.

As we're new to lasers at this point, can anyone give us some pointers as to what we should be looking for? This appears to be a mechanical issue (especially with the laser angle thing). Do we start with the table, the laser optics, or the X/Y drive motors?

Thanks in advance

Gary Hair
06-12-2013, 1:35 PM
I'm not an expert on Epilog lasers, but I think you have several things going on. The missing parts could be due to the drawing, make sure your lines are all hairlines and rgb red - not sure that's what the Epilog driver needs, but it's what my GCC uses. If I have a line with some width or slightly off rgb red then it won't cut. The ovals with wavy edges sound like they could be the encoder, it probably needs cleaning. My GCC has it on the stepper but I think your Epilog has a strip along the X axis. The angled cuts are an alignment problem. Your mirrors are not sending the beam directly through the center of the lens and it comes out at an angle. It could be the table being out of level but I doubt it.
So - I would start with a good cleaning of the optics, all mirrors and the lens. Next I would do a thorough alignment. Third, I would clean the encoders - there may be more than 1 that you can clean. Finally, I would ensure the drawing is right. If you take care of those four things I'm betting you'll get the results you want.

Gary

Mike Null
06-12-2013, 1:42 PM
And I would examine belts and bearings for wear and dirt.

Some time back Epilog had very frequent X axis motor issues.

Martin Boekers
06-12-2013, 3:31 PM
And I would examine belts and bearings for wear and dirt.

Some time back Epilog had very frequent X axis motor issues.

I just replaced an X motor today. Have Epilog look up the records of that machine and give you a history of what has been done to it.
If you can get hold of a laser meter that would be great to check your actual output. I hate to say it but in my experience the first
sign aof a tube going is vector issues. Hope that's not the case. When you find out theservice that has been done in the past you'll get
a better idea of what you can expect to go. Epilog makes good machines so in my opinion they are worth investing a bit in.

Encoder strips I look at as a "consumable" every 2 years are so to replace. When cleaning or replacing encoder strips clean the readera
lso as sometime ahair or lint can move around beam and cause sporadic issues.

Check and clean lense on a regular basis, check mirrors and alignment, make sure air assist tube isn't blocking the beam, some times
the X motor needs the gearing cleaned, I find a pin works well with that.

This will get you started!

I have 2 - 75 watts, but would love to have

Dustin Beach
06-13-2013, 8:39 AM
Thanks for the replies!

I ended up getting a call from Epilog tech support (after emailing our distributor tech). He talked me through several trouble-shooting operations. I cleaned the X and Y encoder ribbons, checked the X/Y functions (it cuts a perfect square without any issues), cleaned the lenses, and checked that the table was level. We decided that it was most likely a lens alignment problem, as the laser seems to be cutting at a slight angle and also loses power the further you get from the static mirror on the arm. The tube was recharged before we bought the machine, so that's unlikely. We'll probably be having a tech come and align the machine for us soon. I'll let you guys know what we find.

Scott Shepherd
06-13-2013, 8:50 AM
We'll probably be having a tech come and align the machine for us soon. I'll let you guys know what we find.

Aligning the mirrors is pretty easy. It's a step by step process that they have the instructions for. Give it a try, it's pretty easy. Doesn't take long to do. Might save you the money of a tech coming in, plus you'll learn a lot.

Martin Boekers
06-13-2013, 9:53 AM
Epilog has improved thier instructions for alignment over the years, now it takes about a half hour or so after you've done it once.

It sounds like that's a good place to start. These are pretty durable machine as well as user friendly. Tech support has been able to
work me through all problems through the years.

Ryan Meister
08-02-2019, 12:52 AM
I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping to get some feed back asap before I purchase a Epilog Legend 32EX 120 Watt Laser Cutter this weekend. Their asking $8000 and it appears to be in good shape. I'm doubting myself because this would be my first laser!
What I love: Bed size is 20x32, laser power is 120 watts, comes with a rotary tool, it's an epilog, and seems like a decent price...

What concerns me: Used, 16 years old, I don't know anything about lasers yet, and I'm told it needs older windows XP or win 2007 to operate it and I know there not supported any longer, being that it's that old they probably have already stopped making some parts for it with more to come, and I don't know what I don't know.

Any feedback from someone more experienced or from an epilog owner, current owner of Epilog Legend 32EX 120 Watt Laser Cutter, or just flat out anyone honestly. I need some advice please ;)

Mike Null
08-02-2019, 8:20 AM
Call Epilog to see whether there are parts that won't be available. My guess is that you'll be ok. Expect to spend some money particularly on belts and bearings.