PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt DW734 Surface Planer

Russ Hauser
06-12-2013, 12:06 PM
I have lived in Central Florida for 12 years and have managed to combat the rust problems caused by the almost constant high levels of humidity. The original problems occurred on surface plates and table tops. I have managed to stay ahead of the rust by waxing the surfaces and keeping them covered at all times with old terry cloth toweling. I think I may have gotten that idea from this site. Just the other day I had occasion to use the planer and seemed to be having a very difficult time adjusting the cutter height. Close inspection revealed significant rust on the 4 vertical posts that the cutter head slides upon. I can see no way to fix the problem short of almost complete disassembly of the machine. Has anyone else had this problem, if so, what did you do to stop if from happening again?

Matt Day
06-12-2013, 12:38 PM
I don't have much advice on the rust issue, but I have completely disassembled that planer and it's not too hard to get the posts out. Let me know if you have any questions.

Russ Hauser
06-12-2013, 12:55 PM
I don't have much advice on the rust issue, but I have completely disassembled that planer and it's not too hard to get the posts out. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks Matt, are there any 'Pit Falls' I need to be aware of? The manual for the planer doesn't have any exploded views. I wonder if there might be some available on line.

Matt Day
06-12-2013, 3:40 PM
Not really. It's pretty straightforward if you are at all mechanically inclined. If I remember right, you basically remove the crank from the top, Remove a bolt at the top of each post, take the top off and keep going from there. You probably just need to remove the cutterhead, and won't have to mess with the chain and gears on the bottom.

Danny Hamsley
06-12-2013, 4:38 PM
Get some Blue Creeper. It is wonderful stuff and if you keep a little bit applied to the planer, it will not rust. It will be the end of your rust problem.

http://www.bluecreeper.com/

glenn bradley
06-12-2013, 6:02 PM
It is a bit of a Catch-22. Most inhibitors offer some form of (intended or unintended) lubrication. Anything slick on those posts and your carriage lock doesn't work effectively (DAMHIKT) :o

Russ Hauser
06-12-2013, 7:12 PM
Thanks guys, it'll be quite some time before I get around to fixing the problem, but at least I know where to get help if I need it.